Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2005, 04:05 PM
    Hose bib question "prier" brand
    I've got a leaky hose bib that says PRIER on the body of the bib. I'm guessing PRIER is the name of the company that made it. It is a frost proof bib and it leaks only when it is turned on. It leaks around where the stem (part with the handle on it) screws into the bib body (part that is attached to the house). Can I replace the gasket inside to stop it from leaking?? If I can't buy one can I make one??

Feb 6, 2005, 04:20 PM
    www.prier.com

Sorry to waste the post.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 05:18 PM
    That is OK, somebody else that needs the information may find it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2005, 11:32 PM
    Hose bib question "prier" brand
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    I've got a leaky hose bib that says PRIER on the body of the bib. I'm guessing PRIER is the name of the company that made it. It is a frost proof bib and it leaks only when it is turned on. It leaks around where the stem (part with the handle on it) screws into the bib body (part that is attached to the house). Can I replace the gasket inside to stop it from leaking????? If I can't buy one can I make one???
    Sounds like all you need to do is snug up the bonnet packing nut. This nut is located on top of the valve body with the stem running through it. Yes, you may purchase the bonnet packing or you can make your own out of graphite string packing. Tom

Feb 6, 2005, 11:39 PM
    Speedball,

I think I need a new packing. When I tighten it so it doesn't leak it is to tight i.e.. I can't turn the water on anymore.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Bonnet Packing
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    Speedball,

I think I need a new packing. When I tighten it so it doesn't leak it is to tight ie. I can't turn the water on anymore.
    Hey Tommy,
    Remove the handle, the bonnet packing nut and the bonnet packing. Take it into a plumbing store and see if they can match it up. If not get some graphite packing, ( it looks like thick black greasy string) and wrap it around the stem and form your own. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Firefox question about the "tabbed browsing" [ 4 Answers ]

I recently started using Firefox browser, unfortunately, I messed around with customizing it and somehow It does not do the "tabbed browsing" feature. I lost it and cannot find where to fix it. I did delete the program, the Firefox and reinstalled it hoping it would go back to the default...

Yet another "closet flange is too high, what to do" question [ 6 Answers ]

OK... let me first say thanks again for all the prior help. What's there: Concrete floor 3" cast iron Lead pipe connecting closet flange to closet el Brass closet flange will end up at 1" over fininshed floor... Ok... so I used a small, sharp screw driver and hammer and worked the...

View more questions Search