Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Old laptop drive won't work in external HDD
    Well, I had 2 old laptops given to me by someone who had cracked their screens. They were old enough and new screens costly enough that I scrapped them for parts, basically just saving the IDE HHDs and ram. Installed one in an external USB enclosure and it worked great. Tried the same with the second and here's what happened:

Found New Hardware: USB to IDE Bridge

Found New Hardware: Disk Drive

Found New Hardware: Your new hardware is installed and ready to use

All this notwithstanding, Windows Explorer shows C: D: but NOT this drive. I've tried it with just one USB (on the Y-cable) connected and with both connected. And yes, the external enclosure is intended for an IDE drive.

Any suggestions?

The PC I'm using is a Dell P4 with XP SP3.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 06:35 AM

When you click on "My Computer", do you see it connecting and disconnecting, and as what?
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
    It never even appears in "my computer".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My CD/DVD Drive on my laptop does not work? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Compaq laptop and the CD/DVD drive does not read any type of cds or dvds. What is the problem and how can I fix it??

Laptop won't boot from external hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external. If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Which connector for laptop to external HD [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know the correct name and designation of the cable for connecting an IBM laptop to an external hard drive?

Laptop connected to an external monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I ruined the screen of my laptop a few weeks ago and have been surving off a cheap old dell monitor that I simply connected to my laptop. Today, I disconnected the two to move my laptop and when I reconnected them, the external monitor's screen no longer displayed the image from the laptop. I...

View more questions Search