Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yonggi Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Anyone knowledgeable about converter boxes?
    I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to use a converter box for my mothers TV rather that have her paying for basic cable service. I keep hearing conflicting stories about how many channels you will get and if you need other equipment along with the box. Anyone know the facts? Thanks for any help.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 01:50 PM

If you use an antenna and converter box, you will get the channels that are in your area. The exact number of channels depends on where you are and on the type of antenna.

Go to TV Fool at this link and follow their instructions.

TV Fool

You will be asked for your address. You can just enter your zip code and then browse for your location on a map. You can uncheck the two checkboxes that give them permission to spam you :mad:

After three or so pages, you'll be presented with a list of television channels in your area and the type of external antenna that will be required to pick up each station. Of course, a channel that will pick up the distant stations will also pick up the nearby stations. Click on the colors to see the key.

You should not need any additional equipment with an antenna (but see the next paragraph) and converter box -- unless you want to buy her a new HDTV. Then you won't need the converter box. :D

Some antennas (directional antennas) require rotators to function properly. Directional antennas are only for the most distant stations. You have to point the antenna at the station you want to pick up. This type of antenna requires a controller in the house to rotate the antenna, and a rotator on a mast. These things can (and do) fail so they have to be maintained.

If you go for basic cable, they will tell you what stations you will receive. Of course, you'll have to pay the monthly fees. :o
    yonggi Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks so much! I'm just trying to see if I can free her from that monthly payment and still get the same channels and her beloved Padres. Thanks again!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:45 PM

Don't use AntennaWeb!!! Use TV Fool

It's a much better site. You can use the noise margin (NM) to figure out what kind of amplification you may need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The new converter boxes for digital cable [ 4 Answers ]

We got the converter boxes but they don't work how do you hook them up/or is there possibly another problem. We hooked them up thinking we did the right way but still don't get the main chanels from our antena? Any people know what might be wrong?

Rar converter [ 2 Answers ]

How do I coverte rar files to mp3?

Looking for info about converter boxes [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the new T.V. converter boxes. I got my coupon this week and it has several listed. I would like to get one without having to go through the bad experiences that other people may have had. Thanks

DTV Converter Boxes [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether this is true or not? With the DTV Converter Boxes that we got discounts from the government, we will be able to use them like rabbit ears (antennas) and get what channels we were getting with the antennas. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other websites to convert videos for psp?

View more questions Search