Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 10:02 AM
    How do calories work?
    I heard there are good calories and bad calories. Good calories don't turn into fat whether they are burnt or not. But the bad calories do.. is this true? And they burn so slowly..
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2009, 10:08 AM

I'll admit that this is controversial and there are those who will disagree with me, but In my opinion, this notion is a misleading and false notion. A calorie is a calorie -- a unit of heat and/or energy. Heat in the body comes from combustion. The body needs energy to maintain its functions and it doesn't really care where it gets the energy from. If the body needs calories, it will burn the most available calorie when it needs it. The important thing is the total number of calories that you eat compared with the number of calories that your body requires.
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Thanks! I noticed that people on this site like to attack other people's posts, I'll go with you're idea because it makes sense. People say that a calorie will turn to fat if you get it from, for example, a piece of cake but from a fruit, it won't cause fattening
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 08:04 AM

A calorie is a unit of heat. If you eat less than you need, you will lose weight, even if you eat nothing but lard or table sugar. If you eat more than you need, you will put on weight, even if you eat nothing but tuna and lettuce.

However, the human body is not a machine and it functions better on fresh whole foods than on processed junk. So if you give the right number of calories in the form of things like oily fish, lots of green veg, eggs, meat, fruit, nuts, dairy and wholegrains, you will look and feel better than if you eat fries, candy and soda all day.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 08:16 AM

I'll add a couple of things. One is that you need to eay what your body needs. Second, fat is not created equal either and the body will take from the easiest source first.

Triglycerides are a high density form of storage and it's difficult to utilize this source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

500 Calories a day [ 21 Answers ]

Is 500 calories a day for about a week OK? Then I'll switch to 1200 calories a day after a week?

Converting J, calories, Calories, and KJ [ 2 Answers ]

1.) How much heat is absorbed when 132.2g of water is heated from 12.0 degrees Celsius to 85.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and kilojoules. 2.) Specific Heat for water is 4.18 J/g Celsius degrees. How much heat is absorbed when 16.8g of water is heated from 3.0 degrees Celsius...

How many calories do I need? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year-old female, 5' 7" and weigh 134 pounds. I have worked out off and on for a while, but recently I started exercising for 1 hour every day. My routine is as follows: I run a 10 minute mile for 30 minutes on the treadmill OR do the stair machine (actual stairs, not stairmaster)...

Calories [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website where you can give them your intake of daily foods and work out your calories.

View more questions Search