Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Jun 17, 2009, 10:20 PM

Ok here you go.. it is not 20k posts but 20k views
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...tore-5144.html

Jun 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Hey I was thinking about getting up on the horse tomorrow and hitting up the cold calling...

Any places in perticular that you recommend my friend?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaningman23 View Post
    Hey I was thinking about gettin up on the horse tomorrow and hittin up the cold calling.....

any places in perticular that you recommend my friend?
    Clean, that whole south side is ripe in my opinion. Actually that is part of my son's area, you may bump into him tomorrow...

As I mentioned before, since you are just moving into the commercial market I would go after small local banks (talk to me later about bidding banks... somewhat different), small privately owned buildings (3-5,000 sq ft), possibly retail...
    Business Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Ok here ya go.. it is not 20k posts but 20k views
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...tore-5144.html
    Yeah, that thread is over 5 years old... and closed last year... by Clough. Good thing too, it went on for almost 4 years. :eek:

Jun 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Clean, that whole south side is ripe in my opinion. Actually that is part of my son's area, you may bump into him tomorrow....

As I mentioned before, since you are just moving into the commercial market I would go after small local banks (talk to me later about bidding banks...somewhat different), small privately owned buildings (3-5,000 sq ft), possibly retail.....
    Your son?
    Does dirt dusters have some competition here on the southside?

I actually walked into a few banks here on the south side and they explained to me that CORPORATE... does the hiring...
    That is a area I am interested in...
    How do you get on these corporate lists and how do they get certain companies on their lists??
    I have a follow to make in a month or so with a residential customer... she said her office was accepting bid is in August...
    Business Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 12:06 AM
    Your son?
    Does dirt dusters have some competition here on the southside?

I actually walked into a few banks here on the south side and they explained to me that CORPORATE...does the hiring...
    That is a area I am interested in...
    how do you get on these corporate lists and how do they get certain companies on their lists???
    I have a follow up to make in a month or so with a residential customer... she said her office was accepting bid is in august....
    Presently I suggest that you go after SMALLER LOCAL banks. You are not large enough to do chain banks as yet. The requirement for corporate bank chains usually are; you already have banks that you are doing and can reference, usually minimum 5 years in business, and background checks on you and all your personnel, etc. And the bid out usually 10 to 30 banks at a time. Usually there is a bond required too, and the expense for equipment, upfront labor, supplies, etc on a multiple location bid is a hugh cost. Even if you could qualify you would probably overextend yourself I believe. not just in dollars but in management capabilities and quality control. We decided not to bid a Harris bank bid that was for 45 locations even though we were qualified. We were just too stretched at the time.

There are a lot of the other buildings that I posted previously that you can get and build your business upon.

Byran, my son's sales area is from Roosevelt Road south... he has gotten business in Orland Park, Tiinley Park, Calument City, Lockport, Romeoville Joliet, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook, Naperville and pretty much a lot of other towns... he has talent and is a damn good salesman. But his written report/plan for the rest of the week said that he would be in the Calument City, Orland Park areas and around. Last year (2008) he wrote about $100,000.00 per month in new business. Between his salary and commissions he is pulling in about $175,000.00 per year.

Getting leads from friends, business associates and other people is a great way to get new business. When we started over 17 years ago 60% of our new business was from referrals. But nothing beats... 20 new personal cold calls (on the street) a day.

Jun 21, 2009, 09:22 PM

Stringer...
    HAPPY FATHERS DAY! HEHE
    How was your weekend! Mine Went great!

Your advice of cold calling has blessed me with another lead!
    I walked into a graphic studio in a industrial zone this past weekend(10,000 Sq Ft)
    I met the owner and he explained that he would contact me Monday or if not have me call him...
    He was currently in the process of accepting bids!! Which excited me!
    Also, I walked into a smaller bank.. as you said.. and they said they just signed a contract last week...
    So I missed them..
    I also got a lead for a fedex kinkos when I was in there.. stating that they had a prior cleaning service and the guy disappeared... so they may need one... im suppose to talk to the manager... next week or so...

COLD CALLING WORKS!! Thank You Guys!
    Business Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Stringer....
    HAPPY FATHERS DAY! HEHE
    How was your weekend! Mine Went great!

Your advice of cold calling has blessed me with another lead!
    I walked into a graphic studio in a industrial zone this past weekend(10,000 Sq Ft)
    I met the owner and he explained that he would contact me monday or if not have me call him....
    He was currently in the process of accepting bids!!! Which excited me!
    Also, I walked into a smaller bank.. as u said.. and they said they just signed a contract last week...
    So i missed them ..
    I also got a lead for a fedex kinkos when i was in there..stating that they had a prior cleaning service and the guy disappeared...so they may need one...im suppose to talk to the manager...next week or so...

COLD CALLING WORKS!!! Thank You Guys!
    That is great Clean, if only more people listened...

I am not one that says; 'told you... ' he hee... but...

Jun 21, 2009, 09:33 PM

With all the advice you given me and you to clough.. I realized that the jobs don't come to you!
    You have to go to the jobs and get them hehe..
    Hopefully more people will listen to your advice and see that hey maybe every one in twenty ends up with a lead of some sort...
    Thanks again!

Jun 21, 2009, 09:37 PM
    I am going to get to bed though for tnite!
    Got to get up early to sell a car in the morning!
    I will keep you updated on how everything goes!

Jun 26, 2009, 05:23 PM

I am back! MY Birthday was yesterday and was all over the place..
    How have you guys been

I have appt to look at that 10,000 sq ft studio...

The owner said they are finishing up construction but afterwards he wants me to do a post construction clean up... and then he wants me to scrub his concrete so they can lay a green screen down... I have a buffer with concrete attachment...

He said he is also interested in a cleaning contract after everything is done...

Any idea on what to charge stringer?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi, guys!

I'm sorry that I haven't been around! Have been ill and computer connection to the Internet has been really bad!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Sounds Cozy
    hehe One day I will be there!
    Besides that If you go to the main page under small business and click Views or responses tab at the top....
    It will show the highest amount .....
    and there is something that has a thrift store......with clough ....as the last responder.........

over 20,000 views
    I've read some posts but still don't get it why the thrift store thread came up on this thread. :confused:

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
    I am back!!
    It was yesterday and was all over the place..
    how have you guys been

I have appt to look at that 10,000 sq ft studio....

the owner said they are finishing up construction but afterwards he wants me to do a post construction clean up... and then he wants me to scrub his concrete so they can lay a green screen down...i have a a buffer with concrete attachment....

he said he is also interested in a cleaning contract after everything is done...

any idea on what to charge stringer?
    Probably Clean, but I need more information...

Will all the 'heavy things' be removed prior to your constr clng? (Large pieces of concrete, wood, HVAC, rubble, etc) or will you have to remove these items? If so, will there be a construction dumpster there for your use? (Costs plenty to get rid of this stuff if there is no constr dumpster.)

What does the construction clean up consist of exactly? (Windows, any stripping and refinishing, carpet cleaning, etc.)

What is your time line... how much of a 'window' do you have to do the clean up?

What is the exact sq ft of the concrete area?

Is the concrete roughed in or smooth finished?

Let me know these things Clean...

And if you like any of these answers, please indicate this in the tab below, thanks... :)

Stringer

Jul 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

Hi Guys,
    I am back.
    I went and took a look at the location the other day and did some measurements of the area he wants to be cleaned...
    The only problem was that the guy was not there and I had to ask someone else...
    The concrete is a smooth finish... I measured it to be around 1,866 sq ft of area of concrete that he wants scrubbed...

But I am not sure of what he exactly wanted because he had left.. so I do have to obtain more information...
    I will be contacting him tomorrow to come out and take a look once again...

My question is... for scrubbing of the concrete... what will be the best to do this... I have a floor buffer but this room looks like it needs something bigger to clean it.

Jul 1, 2009, 08:09 PM
    I suppose we will have to clean up the construction debris up also...
    They had poly laid on the ground... I guess the finishing up the celing though...
    Business Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 01:49 PM

First things first Clean...

Nothing is a simple answer. If the concrete is smooth, use a black or green pad. If the concrete is rough, use a nylon or poly brush. Depending on how much soil, use a degreaser or stripper, cut back to about 20-30:1. Rinse thoroughly. Might have to dry overnight depending on what is going on it. Single disk floor machine with wet vac or 20" auto scrubber would be good.

Open or congested area? Nooks and crannies or one big room?

Using a single disc and wet vac, 2 guys about 1.5 to 2 hours per 1000 sq ft. Using an auto scrubber, one guy about 30-45 minutes with a double scrub. Important. Put chemical down, let it work, scrub and pick up.

When you have more 'concrete' (no pun intended) information about the rest of the clean up, let me know.

Stringer

Jul 6, 2009, 03:31 PM

Ok...
    I know you were telling to use a degreaser or stripper with a black or green pad... Now the current floor machine I have is a Commercial Oreck Orbitor... not a single disc wet vac... or floor machine.. do you think that I should rent a machine?
    The total amount of concrete is 1,866 ft and smooth... it is a real open area with high ceilings and at the moment there is poly laid down on the floor so it is not getting dirtied at the moment...
    So that is the exact details I got.. how may I go about with pricing the concrete... I don't want to charge too less but I don't want to over charge him...
    Business Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Ok ...
    I know you were telling to use a degreaser or stripper with a black or green pad... Now the current floor machine I have is a Commercial Oreck Orbitor .... not a single disc wet vac...or floor machine.. do you think that I should rent a machine?
    The total amount of concrete is 1,866 ft and smooth... it is a real open area with high ceilings and at the moment there is poly laid down on the floor so it is not getting dirtied at the moment.....
    so that is the exact details i got .. how may i go about with pricing the concrete... I dont want to charge too less but i dont want to over charge him...
    Definitely! Rent a single disc machine AND the right size pads if you want the job to go well and do a good job. I would not use any other type of machine.

Based upon the hours I gave you above to do 1,0000 sq ftper hour, I would figure between 4 hours for 'clean' and 5 or 6 for 'dirty.

Figure your loaded hourly rate and price accordingly.

Important... let the chemical down to work... but do not let it dry and remember to rinse well.

When are you to do the job?

Stringer
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:20 AM

Hi, Cleaningman23!

Do you still want any help with advertising?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

I have just started a commercial cleaning company and I am having trouble finding contracts. I am in the Maryland,DC and va area.

Commercial cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

How do I price a commercial cleaning?

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

Once I get them on the phone what should I say?

Commercial Cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in starting my own cleaning business with someone that I work with now but we both work under someone else.We have a chance to pick up a very big job but we are not licensed and bonded.I live in Marion county, Florida and was told that you do not have to be licensed.How do I go...

View more questions Search