Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbmb Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Oct 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Hypnotherapy
    Wondering if anyone's tried hypnotherapy and how it turned out. I imagine it's just another form of therapy and the "hypnotizing" part is possible but does not always occur? I am considering trying to "erase some memories" so to speak so I can get over someone and move on.

Did anyone ever see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? :) Kind of like that but not quite as extreme. You get the idea.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Yes, and actually I was one of the first 200 hyphnotherpist certified and licensed by the National Board of Hypnotherapy.

While doing light hypnosis a person can only be if they allow it, no one can be against their will. ( with deep mind control like the CIA may do, you can do it to anyone)

It will help you go back into childhool memories and into things you have forgotten, you can see the blackboard in your grade school and remember things on the board, you can remember license plate numbers you only got a glance at.

And it can but a subconscience idea of message into your mind.
    And you can go back to a memory and learn to deal with it,

But no it will not make you forget anything , you can be told to forget your were hypnotised and that will normally work.

I did not see the movie so I don't have a reference for that.

What it can do is make you feel better about yourself, and see the truth about a situation to help you get over it. It will help you understand that you did not need them or anyone to feel good about yourself.

But you won't forget what they did to you, but you may understand more of why it happened.

Oct 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Thank you. Unfortunately I've been through plenty of psychotherapy so I understand most everything about why it happened. My problem is that I can't forget the memories and I keep wanting it back (suffice to say he doesn't). And then I violate boundaries again which is part of the reason why he isn't talking to me. I know it's wrong to interfere with someone else's life if they don't want you to - but I just can't stop thinking about him. Part of it may have been my draw to unhealthy men/situations (he has some issues himself) but I think I did really love him.

I was hoping this particular hypnotherapist (very kind and ethical man) could help me with the kind of "obsession" that won't leave my brain. In the same way that hypnotherapists help people stop smoking - they take away that need or obsession? Do you believe that's similar?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 09:09 AM
    As far as erasing memories, that is a big no no. Meditation and self hypnosis. It teaches you how to except those feelings and thoughts then learning to deal with those thoughts and emotions. Once you have them right there and you learn how to not ignore them, not to push them away but then recognize the thoughts and then let those thoughts float away and return to your focus on meditation. Whether it be counting, breathing, visualizing peaceful surroundings. Practising these techniques daily will minimize your thoughts and you will be able to focus on other things which will help you move on without erasing any memory. Erasing memory just means that you are setting yourself up for a big fall down the road. Memories are there as a way of learning and growing. If you erase it you will not have grown or learned and will be back to square one again.

Oct 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Thank you - but those memories (the good ones) keep me wanting him back. Maybe this is a healing process but I just want it to go away. I'm only getting older and I don't feel like I have the time to do this. I'd like children one day and I need to be able to move on and find someone else. :confused:
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Self hynosis and meditations. Excepting these memories and learning to face them and part of meditation is learning to let go of them as well. Will heal you. If you want that, it will work. If you want to know the process of learning how to meditate or use self hypnosis then let me know. It does take a little time but if you are a willing participant and you do want healing this will heal your whole being. Your mind, body and soul.

Joe

Oct 15, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I do Jesushelper - please enlighten me. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 09:54 AM
    I will send you some info in a little bit. Can I pm you or email you and I will give you some things to try out for yourself. It does need practise. I guarantee it will help.

Oct 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Sure - PM or email is fine. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search