Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Jun 1, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Height of installing base trim.
    I will start to put new base trim up in a few weeks from a foreclosure I had purchased. My question is the old carpet is out and I need to know how far I need to come up with trim so new carpet will go under neath trim. I will be putting 1/2 padding down and plush carpet. And I also need to know what I should do about the downstairs. The first floor will be 3/4 hardwood floor except for 2 rooms. How can I make base board the same level if plush carpet is only about 1/4 thick and hardwood is 3/4.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 03:10 PM

You can install your baseboard an 1/8" above the existing wood floor. The carpet installer will butt the carpet to the base , not go under it. If you want a cleaner look install quarter round after the carpet is in.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 03:13 AM

What is separating the 2 rooms from the area with hard wood flooring? If a door or trimmed arch then height will not be noticed.

U will need a reducer strip from wood floor to carpet.

The other way, but more expensive, is to put 1/2'' plywood floor in before carpet.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower base [ 6 Answers ]

Tom, I have a new question. In setting a shower base, on concrete, how much mortar should a person spread, just a couple inches around the drain? Or, should it be more than that. Also, what's the deal in the instructions about putting plastic over the mortar? The base wouldn't be stuck down with...

Installing a shower base [ 9 Answers ]

I am installing a terrazzo shower base. Do I have to have the drain leaded in or is there a gasket I can use?

Installing shower base for scratch [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how to go about using cement to create a shower base for a shower

Installing a shower base in the basement [ 17 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

View more questions Search