Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
    How do I know how much a property sold for ?
    The seller of a property on my street wants to keep the final sale price a secret. His property is not listed on the MLS and his agent is selling it to someone he knows. So the details of this transaction will remain unknown to a large extent. I know I can find out who bought it and when because this information, as I was told here, must be recorded and becomes public record. But looking up this information on my state's official web site does not show the final sale price. I will not have access to the actual paper transaction. What is the best way (if there is one) to find out how much a property sells for ? Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2009, 02:49 PM

Just ask a local realtor. Recent sales are listed because appraisers generally appraise property by looking at recent sales oc comparable homes. All local realators should know where to find this.
    emacon Posts: 48, Reputation: -4
    -

May 23, 2009, 08:38 PM

All you have to do is go to your county property appraisers website and type in the address.

The MLS is not always updated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emacon View Post
    All you have to do is go to your county property appraisers website and type in the address.

Not all localities are on line - an in person visit to the assessor may be necessary. The Town/City assessor would also have the info.

May 24, 2009, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emacon View Post

You are assuming that the Appraisal info is online. Not all counties have this online. And even where it is online, The last sale price might not be listed. Only the current appraisal which may not be a market apprasial.

There are several different agencies that might have this info. The tax assessor, recorder of deeds, county clerk among others. Some counties have separate agencies, others combine the functions. So while its possible this info is available online for free, its just as likely its not.

On the other hand, any realtor in a locality will know how to get this info since its essential to their business.

This is a mistake that many people make when giving advice, they assume because its true for them or their area its universally true and that's a bad assumption. We take pride on the accuracy of the advice we give out here so please be more careful with your accuracy.
    FreddyK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Sorry for not being very communicative. But to add to the information already given you, you also want to get prices on other property that have sold in your area to get an idea of the value of yours at the time.

May 24, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyK View Post
    Sorry for not being very communicative. But to add to the information already given you, you also want to get prices on other property that have sold in your area to get an idea of the value of yours at the time.
    Ummm while this is good advice to anyone wanting to know the value of their property, that's not what the question was about. The OP was asking for the sales price of a specific property.

Please read the questions more carefully.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 24, 2009, 07:40 AM
    The one sure way to get this information is to go to the county clerk or county register's office and look at a copy of the recorded deed. It is public information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on sold property [ 2 Answers ]

How do I figure my taxes on property sold in PA, I am a full time resident in WV. It was my fathers property that my brother and I split 50/50. I have a 1099 S

Can sold property be quitclaimed? [ 3 Answers ]

My grandmother added my three brothers and me to the deed on her house in 1980, with the understanding that we would inherit it upon her death. She died in 1996 and we allowed our father to take possession of the house, rent it out, and make a little income from it. Now he no longer wants the...

Property sold; can I get out of my lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 2.5 years into my 5 year commercial lease in Louisiana and my landlord has sold the property. Can I get out of my old lease?

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search