Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

May 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Blower rattling
    What could be the culprit behind a rattling inside HVAC unit?

The HVAC system in my house in San Antonio has the compressor unit outside and the air handling unit inside (located in a utility closet shared with the water heater). The unit shakes while the blower is on - lots of metal rattling sounds. It does blow cold air - the house is quite comfy, but it seems pretty loud... and louder than it has been in previous years. We've been in the house since 2001. My attempts to address this have been unsuccessful. I've kept the filters pristine, tightened all of the bolts on the metal housing and cleaned (as best I could) the fins on the squirrel cage.

Any ideas about what's causing the rattling noise, or is this just normal?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 08:58 AM
    The blower wheel is out-of-balance for some reason. Dirt build-up in the vanes is the most likely culprit, although it could also be a faulty wheel, missing/ejected counterweight, or some other object/debris in the wheel. The most effective way to clean the wheel is to remove it completely from the motor/housing assembly and thoroughly spray it out with water. If you elect to try it yourself, pay attention during disassembly to assure a successful re-assembly.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

May 23, 2009, 09:15 AM
    Just out of curiosity, I took the top cover off while the blower was on. I know that's a bad idea... but it was only for a few seconds. The rattling stopped.

Does that change your assessment at all?

I very much appreciate the input.

EDIT:

Actually it's still there. I'd just been putting pressure on the metal enclosure when I took the top cover off... when I tried it just now, it's rattling pretty good. Your initial answer sounds very likely after further inspection. I think I'm about a month (depending on weather) from failure on this blower unit... cleaning isn't going to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rattling pipes [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a split foyer house built in mid 80's. I have had a problem with pipes rattling every since I moved there 7 years ago. The problem has worsened and now the pipes rattle all the time even when you are not using the water. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Rattling Pipes [ 5 Answers ]

After we flush our downstairs commode the pipes rattle. What causes this and how can we fix it?

Rattling in the house when AC is on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, hoping someone could help me with this. When I turn my AC on upstairs (3 level house), I hear a low to moderate rattling noise upstairs. When I checked out the furnace room in the basement, I could also hear a similar rattling noise in the ceiling where the vents are. There's no noise from the...

Rattling/click noise from blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier forced air furnace with central air conditioning that was installed in 2001. This morning when I got up I noticed a really strange rattling/clicking noise on the lower level of the house. At first I thought it was just a register rattling, however, when I went down to the...

Rattling cold tap [ 3 Answers ]

We recently fitted new taps to the sink and bathroom. The cold tap in the sink occasionally makes a loud noise and rattles when turned on a little way. Turn it further and the rattling stops. It doesn`t happen every time. What can it be?

View more questions Search