Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennifer1010 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Apr 23, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Plan B available over the counter to 17 year olds.
    Well like always I was on CNN.com today looking at all the stuff on there when I saw an article about a federal judge making the FDA put Plan B or the morning after pill available for 17 year olds, over the counter. There was a study showing that it's as safe for a 17 year old female as it is for an 18 year old female. There is huge debate on the subject and I just wanted to hear some different reactions, thoughts, feelings, etc,.

The article is below for more information.

FDA to allow morning-after pill over the counter for 17-year-olds - CNN.com
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 06:58 PM

And will the federal judges not hold the parents liable for the minor child's medical bills if something goes wrong with the pill.

And in the states where the age of consent is 18, this is merely aiding in the "crime"

Supreme court should be leaving state rights issues alone.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And will the federal judges not hold the parents liable for the minor childs medical bills if something goes wrong with the pill.

And in the states where the age of consent is 18, this is merely aiding in the "crime"

Supreme court should be leaving state rights issues alone.
    I agree Chuck...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 03:46 AM

Amazing how the judiciary usurps powers they consititutionally don't have. The FDA is the regulatory authority over medications and the FDA had placed the restriction with reason.

We would be a lot better off if the judiciary would stop giving themselves legislative and executive authority .
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 05:11 AM

Just think... in a few years time Plan B will be mandatory for 12 year olds after they go galavanting around town.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
    I'm not a moralist type, but even I think that 18 should be the minimum age for plan B without a parent's knowledge. 17-year olds are still living at home and their parents have a right to know what they are doing.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 07:42 AM

I'm pretty liberal and I think you should have to be 18 to get this pill. I don't think the mind set of an 18 year old and a 17 year old are that much different. Some will use this pill the way it is intended and some will use it as their only means of birth control and that is wrong.

Apr 24, 2009, 07:13 PM

I do agree that the Judiciary branch should leave the things that aren't constitutionally theirs up to the state government. I don't understand it because Shazamataz said the age will probably keep going down. To me, this is just encouraging younger kids to have unprotected sex because they can use Plan B. What about all of the STI's and Disease? Why isn't anyone warning them against these problems. Soon teens will be running around having unprotected sex with whomever they want and just pop the pill. I don't think it's right.

Thanks for your responses.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 02:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I'm pretty liberal and I think you should have to be 18 to get this pill. I don't think the mind set of an 18 year old and a 17 year old are that much different. Some will use this pill the way it is intended and some will use it as their only means of birth control and that is wrong.
    True, but if they change to age to 17 then in a few years everyone will think well 16 year olds don't think much differently than 16 year olds... then well, 15 year olds don't think much differently than 16 year olds... and so on...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 25, 2009, 10:29 AM

Like everything else 18 yo should be the age. Younger than that requires parental consent.

Like everything else, there needs to be a signed agreement as to the potential side effects : clots, liver damage, heart attack, bleeding, pain ETC.

On a personal note, my wife and I have already told our virgin daughters [ <13 yo ] of this and they are to stay abstinent, but should they make a mistake they are to come to us immediately. We object to abortion but have no qualms about PREVENTING CONCEPTION.

G&P
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 10:42 AM

I just wonder why birth control can not be bought over the counter, if they feel this is OK
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 10:55 AM

I know Plan B has health risks but the pill actually has quite a few too.. they don't check your blood pressure or medical history at a pharmacy :)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    True, but if they change to age to 17 then in a few years everyone will think well 16 year olds don't think much differently than 16 year olds... then well, 15 year olds don't think much differently than 16 year olds... and so on...
    I agree with you on that. That is why I think they should leave it at 18. At least with 18 they are considered an adult and "should know better".

May 1, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I just wonder why birth control can not be bought over the counter, if they feel this is ok
    That's exactly what I don't understand...
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 12:33 PM

As I said above the pill and other birth control methods are long term and there are more health issues to be taken into account.

I don't think plan B should be over the counter either for the same reason.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2009, 02:24 AM
    Sorry to revive the old thread but I had to post this :D

The result of over the counter contraception and plan b:
    Attached Images

May 15, 2009, 02:52 PM

I'm going to have to agree with you Shaz..
    XD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 Year Olds and Limits [ 10 Answers ]

I have four daughters. The oldest will be 19 in a week. She had been heavily involved in competitive sports and school which kept her focused and too busy to chase around. Now that she has graduated and is no longer participating in sports she has begun going out with friends we don't know and...

Art for one year olds [ 4 Answers ]

I need some art ideas for one year olds

Jobs for 13 year olds [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have just turned 13 and I would love a job; however I am not interested in getting a paper route. HELP! Thank you very much Chessca xxx :)

Displays for 0-2 year olds [ 2 Answers ]

Can you help me I am a nursery nurse working in the 0-2's room and I can't think of anything to do for an age appropriate displays.

10 year olds coming out as gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently got into a heated debate with a friend. A mutual friend of ours works at a summer camp for young children and apparently a few boys ranging from ages 10 and 11 have come out as being gay and 2 of them are even boyfriend and boyfriend, kissing and holding hands. She seems to think this is...

View more questions Search