Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRISP Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Booting to an external drive
    I've been told I can't use my work laptop for personal use. How do set up my laptop to boot to an external HD rather than the on board HD.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
    That's still personal use, but if the laptop supports it there should be an option in the BIOS for boot device order or selection.
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 07:07 PM

I know what u mean with personal use. Just change the boot priority so the first boot device is "USB HDD" in the bios setup and en cd drive and then first hdd then when you beet the laptop up with out a external hard drive it will start up normaly. Let me know if you got it
    FRISP Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for that, how do I access the bios and how do I load the OS onto an extn HD or can I buy an extn HD with an OS on
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2009, 08:32 PM

It's very easy actually you just plug in the external hard driveve and install windows like normaly but you should be very carfull when installing so you don't get confused with the hard drives and install it on the computers hard drive instead of the external one , ilke if you buy an 250gb external hard drive make sure you install it on that one and not the outher one. And if you got it then just change the bois settings so the computer has a boot order of 1.cd drive 2. usb hdd 3.hdd or hdd0
    If you not sure let me know and ill go into more detail just give me the specs of the laptop as well ex. Name etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-using a 3.5 HD as an external USB drive [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to re-use a 3.5 inch HD that I removed from a PC running XP Professional, as an external USB mass storage device on a new PC running Vista home premium. Although the new PC self-installed the necessary drivers I cannot get it to recognise the drive in the computer option. Could this...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Booting from Hard Drive problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've never encountered this problem before. I have an external hard drive connected to my desktop computer. Every time it restarts it refuses to do so unless the external hard drive is off. It says that it is, "unable to boot from drive." Is there any other way I can turn this desire of...

Help with a external drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have an external hard drive can I install a virus program on it so that I can take it to another system and then run the virus program on that system. Will this be a problem because the drive letter will change or will it not matter because the file structure will not change only the drive...

View more questions Search