Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nineballer33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Frozen Joint Account
    My parents who have been going through a divorce, neglected to pay a creditor moneys owed on a car loan. Recently that creditor has frozen all of the accounts in my parents names, including MY personal bank account in which my mother was the custodian of. In the state of NY I read that if a joint account is frozen by a creditor seeking judgment on the custodian, it is possible to fill out court papers stating that the account was for convenience only and therefore the creditors have no right to seize the assets of the underwriter. Unfortunately, I live in PA, and cannot find any information on what I can do. My account is strictly convenience only (the only reason my mother is the custodian is because I was under 18 when I established the account) and was wondering if anyone knows if there anything I can do here in PA to get my funds released.

Nineballer33
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 1, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Talk to your banker. They will know PA banking laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint bank account frozen [ 3 Answers ]

My mom's health has been declining recently so she added me as the 2nd signer to her bank account three weeks ago. The account was frozen on Friday and after some researching around, I found out that it was because of some debt I owed 9 years ago. There was a default judgement against me on 2000,...

Frozen Joint Bank Account [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has a judgement on his credit report and the debt collector has frozen our joint account. If the debt is in his name only and I am a joint holder on the account and have money going into it, can they legally freeze the account and take my money also to pay his debt? The debt is not to...

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Joint bank account, not spousal, in New York, Kings county frozen. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a joint checking and savings with another person to whom I am not married nor have any legal relationship under the law, except, we live together. I did not receive notification of a summons (and yes, I sent a letter for disclosure, it was not responded to) a judgement was rendered against...

View more questions Search