*When driving, car sometimes slips

This is what it's not:

Intake manifold gasket
    Tune up

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:48 AM

Idles rough--clean the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), throttle plate, and throttle body:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1054149

Car slips--sounds like a transmission problem. If you haven't regularly dropped and cleaned the pan, changed the filter, and replaced the fluid, it may need to be overhauled.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:56 AM

Thank you txgreasemonkey for your reply.

Would bad transmission fluid cause a car to stall?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 11:59 AM

Not really.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:06 PM

My car has been doing that since last summer and here's the funny part about all this: When there is warm weather, it acts up but when it's cold, my car is fine. In the winter, my car did not idle rough, skip or stall out but the first sign of warm weather, it did.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:13 PM

That makes me think the ECT Sensor (not ECT Switch or ECT Gauge) may be the problem. Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough, flood the engine, and waste a tremendous amount of fuel. Easy to replace.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:18 PM

So you think the ECT Sensor is the problem for idling rough, stalling out and slipping?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:39 PM

The ECT Sensor may be a factor in stalling out, but the slipping is likely transmission-related. I would still clean the IACV, since it's easy to do.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 12:44 PM

My car has been at the mechanics all day today and I did not get one single call from them. They are suppose to call me when they find out what is wrong. *Sigh*
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2009, 01:12 PM

I just got off the phone with the mechanic and he said it was one of the fuel injectors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very rough idling [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1994 nissan sentra that gives avery rough idling. When driving it goes away but once in idle the whole car shakes. I did a tune-up not long ago and was thinking it might be the engine mount but the shaking seems to come from the exhaustwhich wwas put on after I got the car. The engine...

2000 dodge dakota idling rough [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 dodge dakota r/t. A few months ago I started having problems keeping the truck running right after I started it. Sometimes driving with feet on gas and brake to keep it from stalling. Now, when I start it, have to keep foot on gas for close to 10 minutes,afterwards when it is...

Problems with the Plymouth Breeze [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all you car experts! About 2 days ago (Saturday) my engine started making a whistling noise. It only happens when I let off on the gas. Thanks!

View more questions Search