Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Setting new toilet to old flange.
    Hello out there. Im attempting to set a new toilet to an old flange (bathroom reno). The problem is the wax ring seems to compress too much. I can't seem to get the toilet to sit w/o feeling wobbly. Do I need to use silicone, shims or another wax ring underneath? I'm able to adjust the flange up and down by about 1/4" if I drive screws through it and down into the subfloor. Not sure what to do :confused:

Please help!

Thanks,
    Neal
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2009, 04:20 PM
    It's not the wax seal that's causing the rocking. It's a uneven floor or a flange that's too high. Put your closet bolts in the slots and screw the flange tight to the floo.
    You're now ready to set the toilet. Setting a toilet is a simple job. Place the wax seal on the bottom of the stool and set the stool over the flange so the bolts come up through the holes in the base . Give the stool a twist to seat the seal. (If the bowl still rocks just snug the bolts a little and shim it.) Now is the time,if you have china caps, to put the plastic locking wafer on the bolt first, Making sure the beveled side is down, now the washer and nut. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN as you can break the china. If you tighten it so that you can't twist it it's tight enough. Tie in the water and test for leaks.
    If the bowl still rocks after you get the flange down you'll have to shim it.
    Let me walk you through the process of shimming a toilet bowl. First you will need some shims that any hardware store should have in stock. Now loosen the closet bolts securing the bowl to the floor and place your shims just so they clear the rim but don't slip into "the void" under the bowl. If you lose any simply take a table knife and retrieve them. Gently tap any shims back under the rim that peek out. When the bowl seems set an don't rock, snug up the closet bolts to where the bowl is pulled down on the shims and is tight to the floor. You are now ready to grout the job. Use a small tube of White Dap Tub & Tile Caulk. Run a bead all the way around the bowl filling the open spaces and smoothing it out with your finger. If the shims peek through add a little more caulk. Wipe the excess off with a damp cloth and let it dry for a few hours. You have just shimmed and caulked your toilet. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Apr 19, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm wondering if maybe I screwed the flange down too far, making the top of the flange even with the tiles as opposed to just above the tile. The tiles were cut around the flange so there is a void actually under the flange. Could that be the problem too?

Are those shims found in Home Depot? Plumbing aisle or elsewhere.

Thanks a million!
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diyer2009 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm wondering if maybe i screwed the flange down too far, making the top of the flange even with the tiles as opposed to just above the tile. The tiles were cut around the flange so there is a void actually under the flange. Could that be the problem too?

Are those shims found in Home Depot? Plumbing aisle or elsewhere.

Thanks a million!
    Ya got to realize that a flanges only function is to secure the bowl to the floor. However, if you're concerned purchase ba wax seal with a funnel. At the same time you pick up those plastic shims from Home Depot. Good luck, tom

Apr 20, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Ok all, I think I figured it out using the shims. Seems to be pretty tight and not moving even with my ample girth applied to it. Next step is applying the Dap. I couldn't find Tub and tile specifically so I'm using Dap Kwik Seal Plus. Seems to say that's one of its uses. Hope it is.

Thanks,
    Neal.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Glad you got your potty leveled an d your not reading your morning paper setting on a "rocking chair". The Dap Kwik Seal Plus will be just fine. Cheers, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange bolts make toilet sit at wrong angle [ 2 Answers ]

Previous owners put a bathroom in the rec room. When they installed the toilet flange (to the sewer) it was not aligned with the wall. The toilet sits at a crooked angle, not aligned to the wall. After removing the toilet - the flange that holds the toilet bolt-downs needs to be rotated so...

Looking for good Advise on replacing toilet flange on concrete slab to install toilet [ 26 Answers ]

To whom it may concern: I got a problem with a toilet that has been rocking and twisting for quite some time until it started leaking and what now I pull up the toilet to find out that the flange is broken on one side. I tried that flange plate from home depo but it won't work because the slab is...

Setting toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

How is a toilet flange anchored into a cement floor and drain pipe? Is there an adhesive or sealer that is used around the O.D. of the flange bottom to seal it to the drain pipe? Is it set into mortar?

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

View more questions Search