Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2009, 10:28 AM
    Can we hate?
    If I was a good Christian.. Can I hate the one that did me wrong?
    I can't understand this one.. I tried to unfold it but it was too much for me...
    In the old days.. The Jews were the cause after our savior's pain, but can we hate them? I love Jesus more than son, but if any one wanted to hurt my son, I would most likely hurt him, and I think I will hate for that reason, and I know I love Jesus more than Zak, but what is it? What is the truth?
    Okay... Well.. most people hate people and they make up reasons for it, like white hate black, Muslims and Christians, Christians and Muslims, Jews, red and yellow, every one just hate.. Can any one explain this without changing the truth, and without using my question to serve his or her coal... Just a honest answer please..
    God bless you all, we all are his children, and when I said God bless you all, I mean all, Blake, white, yellow, Muslim and Christian and jew, every one believes in God...
    May God have Mercy on us..
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:33 AM

Christians can hate, but Jesus taught differently. Here is a verse that may help you understand more on what Jesus has to say about hating others:

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:38:45 RSV)

Sarah

Apr 14, 2009, 10:41 PM

Beautiful verse; I did read it more than a thousand time and I like it and try to do by it, but; If I can't do what the book says, and love, forgive, and give, how can I be the one that do what Jesus taught us?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
    Are you asking how can you apply what he taught in our daily lives?

If that's what you mean, I think Jesus wants us to be humble, if someone does something to us we should forgive them and be able to move on. He doesn't mean be best friends with them, just be respectful and keep your distance- there is nothing wrong with that.

Sarah
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samdarwen View Post
    Beautiful verse; I did read it more than a thousand time and I like it and try to do by it, but; If I can't do what the book says, and love, forgive, and give, how can I be the one that do what Jesus taught us?
    When a person is saved, they receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that helps give us the strength to behave as God would have us behave. Are we automatically perfect? No. That is not the fault of what the Holy Spirit is saying but more a factor of our faulty hearing. We all fall from time to time. Nonetheless, insofar as we submit ourselves to the Holy Spirit, we will continue to grow to be more like the person that God would have us be.

If you are saved, don't worry about the times that you fail, just keep your eyes on the cross and continue to submit yourself to Him.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 14, 2009, 11:34 PM

Straight up truth, with out me in it...

Ok, you are who you are, but do you know, love, forgive, and Be yourself?

It may be in your interest to find out? Eh?

"An eye for an eye and,
    the whole world goes blind;
    So who will draw the line?" - various sources

You are angery, because you are afraid of something, and fear is the path to the dark side. Go ahead laugh, but master Yoda's words maybe very wise: “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

"Wisedom is all around us, if we only stop and listen."- Me I just made that up, but I think I like it.

You can interpret it as you wish, the wisedom can be many things, life, "the force", GOD, Jesus, OUR mother earth, a source, existence, etc. It is quite endless, but in essence they are, one and the same. "All are one and one is all." Led-Zeppelin.

"If I can't do what the book says, and love, forgive, and give, how can I be the one that do what Jesus taught us?"-you

What does Jesus teach us?

May Peace and kindness be with you.

P.S. Forgive me for I couldn't give truth with out me in it. I see the truth through my eyes and thus it is apart of me, and I of it. Let it stand as it will, and as you will.

"The thought manifest as the word, the word manifest as the deed, the deed develops into habit, and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and it's ways with care, and let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings."-Buddha

"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace."-Buddha

Being
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 12:32 AM

Hate= separation from God.
    Separation from God is hell on earth.
    Hate is a burden that our Lord never wants us to carry.

Apr 15, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Dear friend... I'm very lost her, what is it you are telling me?
    By the way, The Cross itself is not what I believe in, it's just a simple for our Savior's pain, and not a path or a believe...
    I still would like to know the answer to my question if we can hate or not. I'm lost in the way of understanding not believing, and I ask anyone want's to answer this question, just to answer it for what it is and not for what he or she wants to add to my question, this is a real question and I'm looking for answers.
    Thank you and God bless
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samdarwen View Post
    Dear friend.... I'm very lost her, what is it you are telling me?
    By the way, The Cross itself is not what I belive in, it's just a simple for our Savior's pain, and not a path or a believe...
    The cross is central to the Christian gospel and since you did ask this on the Christianity board, it is appropriate for us to answer this based upon what God has told us in the Bible. You may not believe in the Bible, but you may find that it is the answer to your question.

Can we hate? Yes we can.
    Should we hate people? No, we shouldn't.

You also asked about a verse in the Bible and asked how we can do it. The answer is that, on our own, we cannot. Our only hope to change permanently is with the help of God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which come when we receive Jesus as Saviour.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 07:36 AM

Sam,

The thing about Christians is this... we still have the flesh and it is capable of hating.This is the reason the apostle paul said "he died daily". He died to himself and his flesh. It is a daily thing not something we can do and then move on to something else. There are people in my life that have caused me pain and if I dwell on how I was WRONGED I feel hatred, bitterness etc... WHY? Because you can't improve the flesh the only thing I can do is DIE to it. So when I those old feelings start rising up in me... I don't try to improve it. I simply replace my thoughts with something GOOD. I meditate on Him and I die to my fleshly desire to hate or hold a grudge. The Holy Spirit and His power sees me through for that day. I get up and do it all over again the next day. I have found that once you decide that your flesh is NOT going to rule your mind, pretty soon the negative thoughts no longer consume you and the daily struggle over that particular sin diminishes. But it is a daily decision and I think Christians get confused and think somehow they can improve their flesh. CAN'T be done... reckon it dead.

Apr 15, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    The cross is central to the Christian gospel and since you did ask this on the Christianity board, it is appropriate for us to answer this based upon what God has told us in the Bible. You may not believe in the Bible, but you may find that it is the answer to your question.

Can we hate? Yes we can.
    Should we hate people? No, we shouldn't.

You also asked about a verse in the Bible and asked how we can do it. The answer is that, on our own, we cannot. Our only hope to change permanently is with the help of God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which come when we receive Jesus as Saviour.
    I'm lost again.. What? Are you saying I don't believe?
    I'm not here to challenge you or any one on what the cross is to you...
    To me; The Cross is simpolic to the believes we have, and not the center of our believe... Our Father in Heaven, and his only son is the center of our believe, and I didn't know that any of you is there and been giving license to say who believes and who is not... My question was and still about what I should feel like, and you telling me that I can hate, but hold on, hate in the Bible that I read every day is what we should fight, forgiveness is the only path, but again, I'm and we all humans as far as I know, so, why do we hate and we act like we are the good ones?
    I'm looking for more than opinions, I'm looking for answers.. No need to point fingers..
    I'm sorry if my question or the way I'm talking is bothering any one, but true, it's a real question that needs answer..
    Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in me.
    My father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you maybe also.
    John 14/1,2,3,4
    Please look past what your eyes see, and have the understanding for the answers..
    God bless
    Sam
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Apr 15, 2009, 08:19 AM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...te-341445.html

samdarwen -

You want to know "Can I hate the one that did me wrong?"

Well, you could. You can do whatever you want. But if you are looking for God to tell you that it is OK to hate, I don't think he will say that you can. Here is why I think so.

For one, the nature of hate is often self-serving. Hatred stems from an inflated ego in my opinion. To actively hate someone is a result of my thinking that I am better than someone else and that because I am better, others are inferior to me. Why do whites hate blacks and blacks hate whites and Catholics hate Protestants and Protestants hate Catholics, etc. Because we human beings look down our noses at people who are different from us and we think we are better than those who are different. That is our problem. At is relates to wrongful acts committed against us, that is an even more dramatic thing. At the core of our anger when someone wrongs us is a sense that we deserve better. We feel that we deserve to be treated better than the wrongful act committed against us. In a certain sense we do deserve better because to be loving and kind is a godly quality and God has made it so. But the problem is that we are evil creatures. For us to demand better treatment from others is a wrong perspective to have because we really do not deserve better—this is because we are pretty rotten as human beings go. We are morally corrupt and we treat people unkindly and are selfish to our core. The reason that Jesus's command to love our enemies is hard for us is because instinctively we feel that we are justified to hate those who treat us unkindly. So his command is difficult because it causes us to work against the force of our own nature, which is as I said, to hate those who wrong us.

The example we have before us is that of Jesus Christ. When he was hanging on the cross, he called out to God and said: “forgive them Father for they know not what they do.” Tj3 said that through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, a person can behave according to the way God would have him/her do. I don't know how someone can really have the moral commitment to do such a thing without God's intervention. I can attest to the work that God has brought about in my own heart. I used to be completely given over to anger for those who had wronged me in my life. I'm not saying that forgiveness comes naturally for me now but something has happened in me because my perspective has changed and I see the world and people differently now. Fundamentally, the verse that hit me square in the jaw when I was first confronting serious anger in my life was this:

“For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Why this verse was so compelling to me was the fact that I had a vast litany of sins that I had done against people in my life. And so to demand that others pay for their evil against me would force me to have to accept my punishment for my wrongdoings against others as well. It was at that moment when I decided that mercy and forgiveness were the better alternatives. So, samdarwen, the issue is this. If you conclude that it is OK to hate, then you must conclude that it is OK for others to hate you. That is the logical outcome of that position. Conversely, if you conclude that it is not OK to hate, then I suppose that you have concluded that it is right to extend forgiveness to others since you are aware that you are someone who needs mercy from God.

I hope you choose the latter.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 08:35 AM

Jakester,

This is off thread. Is that YOU? ( the avitar pic) because if it is you are soooo young to be so wise and knowledgeable in the Word. Wow. I'd be impressed by your comments even if you were 50 but... wow dude... awesome!
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Apr 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Jakester,

this is off thread. Is that YOU? ( the avitar pic) because if it is you are soooo young to be so wise and knowledgeable in the Word. Wow. I'd be impressed by your comments even if you were 50 but.....wow dude...awesome!
    Yeah, that's me. I appreciate your kindness. I have learned from some great teachers who have learned a lot through their struggles and suffering in life—myself included. Life hurts sometimes. But I have learned that it is God's way to teach us through our pain and my life certainly has not been easy but it is the life God has given me.

I bet you are no stranger to life's struggles either.

See you around, ClassyT.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Apr 16, 2009, 10:57 AM

Great lines..! ClassyT.

Mar 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Christians can hate, but Jesus taught differently. Here is a verse that may help you understand more on what Jesus has to say about hating others:

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:38:45 RSV)

Sarah
    I've been away for some time now and I was looking at these answers...
    Wow...
    Not what I expected though...
    Someone said that we shall answer to Jesus Christ when we were taught that Jesus answer's to his father and so shall we...

Hate is a something natural for us (Mankind) but not for the ones who believe themselves righteous because then it is a sin and do you know why we call it a sin? Because it is something wrong to do and if we were not to be judged for the wrongs we do, then what’s the meaning of doing good, if a murder or a thief will go to heaven simply because he believes that Jesus is his way out… You make mistake and you will responsible but you cannot use the fact that Jesus Christ died for our sins to commit bad things and sins because I promise you, he did not die for this reason… We (Mankind) like to translate things the way it makes life easier for us including the fact that we and in real world, do not seem to admit to our mistakes and take responsibilities for our doings. If you do not believe me then I advise you to look around and take your time processing the truth out there because that is what happens in life…
    Every wrong we do is justified of at least this is what we like to think……..
    Life is not just us, for God created many other creatures other than us including Angels and Demons… Why we think otherwise then?
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2013, 05:15 AM
    It is that we should not hate the individual, but that we should dis-like the attitude of individuals. It is not the person as a whole, but it is the attitude of an individual that is hated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I don't hate my job, I hate my co-worker(s) [ 23 Answers ]

Do you ever have a day in the office where everything is going grand until you see that one person that really grinds your gears. Well I have one of those- I make one little mistake and she takes it up with the supervisor immediately when in fact she makes a million or more errors daily. How...

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option.what should I do? [ 14 Answers ]

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option. People near me are OK but are always either scared or are in an licking state. I hate the environment. I can't quit because I hate to learn and what I know is not good enough. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee tell me what shoul I do! anyone!

I hate this. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok. I wrote in ages ago because my sadness won't go away and IT STILL WON'T. It has been months and I am still feeling sadness. I have tried to exercise and change my diet and take my mind of sad thoughts but it won't go away. I have no energy and all I want to do is sleep. I cry for no reason....

My ex said he me to hate him [ 7 Answers ]

ARGH SORRY the title is supposed to be "my ex wants me to hate him". I have no idea what I wrote. Apologies! Hello everyone, ARGH I'm so stressed at the moment, in the middle of exams but I'm crying everyday and having these stupid random breakdowns in the middle of the day. My boyfriend...

View more questions Search