Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R-J-S-InLove Posts: 80, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Public Speaking
    I've got to give a 10min talk to a class of 40 young boys and girls

What all should I keep in my mind as in body language, facial expressions and eye contact
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:07 AM

Not an expert, but done public speaking a few times myself.

Body Language: That really depends on what your speech is about. If you are presenting something to be persuasive, try to keep a strong stance to make the listener feel the power behind your words. If you are talking about something of their interest, try to just be relaxed and take in the bearing of the crowd. Don't make anything too elaborate though: You want them focused on your words, not the crane style you are doing.

Facial Expressions: Again, depends on what you are presenting. However, if you have key points, try to emphasize those. Elevate your voice and change your tone when saying something something important, and your face will move naturally. However: Make sure that you aren't constantly frowning/etc. People tend to react more positively to the speech on someone who smiles.

Eye Contact: Try to simply gaze around the room, in a smooth manner. Most young people feel pressured when looked directly at for any period. Don't jump from face to face, pretend there is a bug flying around the room, and follow it. That way, most, if not all, of your listeners will feel that you were talking to them, but not focusing on them.
    However, if you are presenting something different, such as a monologue from a play, try to focus your attention of as many spots/areas as there are people you are talking to, that way your listeners can take in the atmosphere of your speech.

Also: Don't be afraid of asking the organizer of the even if you may use a podium to stand behind or a chair to sit on, whatever will work for what you are presenting.

If you provide more information on what you are presenting, more accurate help could be given.

Apr 5, 2009, 08:43 AM

OK I've to give a speech on UN's international year of Reconciliation(2009). M going to talk about how to reconcile with your own self, a bit heavy and serious topic so m scared my audience's attention may waver or they me get bored and I don't want that

Apr 7, 2009, 01:06 AM

How to make young people interested in this topic..?
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:57 PM

Well, what I would suggest would be to relate the UN's reconciliation and self reconciliation to something that that age group could focus on.
    If you Can find something that relates your listeners to your topic, you should be able to keep their attention. You said it's 10 minutes long, so a short introduction, how it relates to them, back on topic, and then once or twice referring back to how it relates to them in your speech, and then something at the end, should hold their attention firm.
    Also, it's a great idea to have strong self confidence.

How young are we talking about? High school, middle?

Apr 8, 2009, 01:37 AM

No University students, almost all are in there early 20's and 1 or 2 are 25+
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 02:47 AM

Okay, well, that should be even easier then, since people around that age seem to be more aware to the world around them, and therefore should be more focused in politics and world conflict.

Good Luck!
    If you have any more questions, just ask!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 07:07 AM

Hey,tough subject to keep an audience attention.

Use visuals.ex; power point,posters flip chart.

10 minutes is not long.. 1.say what your going to say.
    2.say it.
    3.recap on wha your have just said.

If you could stick to 3 or 4 points you'll get the message across.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking [ 33 Answers ]

How to develop good public speaking skills?

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Speaking in public [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have to do a reading at my sisters wedding next week and had the practice run tonight. This is a real challenge for me and I want to do well for my sister. I am generally nervous in such situations and during the practice run was very tense and found breathing and being natural...

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

View more questions Search