Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beauty1019 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Abusive Marriage?
    My name's brittany. I'm 21-years old, and am married. My husband is 29-years old and abusive. I want to get out of the marriage but don't know how. Can someone give me some advice?:confused:
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:52 AM

If you are in the U.S you can call this number
    1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
    It is free and they can advise you on what programs are available in your area and help you to get to a safe place.
    Do not hesitate to act and do not be afraid.
    You could be in a safe place by today if you act now.
    Be strong and you will get through this.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:57 AM

First, you will have to commit to the idea of leaving.

Do you have anywhere to go?
    You pick up and leave.

You can sort out the details later if you feel you need to escape.

If it's the type of situation where you want to tell him that you're ready to end the marriage, do so, and file for divorce.

Leaving an abusive relationship is a very difficult thing to do but you have to be unwaivering on your decision to get out of it because he will try to get you to come back. Most importantly get out of it now; do what's best for you and worry about the rest later. Don't focus on "We have this nice house" or "He's the breadwinner and I don't have much money of my own". Get. Out.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:58 AM

Sorry Artsy, had to spread the rep- but that's great info!
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:15 AM

artlady agrees: I stayed for so many years and numerous hospital stays until one day I just snapped and said what am I doing to my life and my kids? It was like a revelation from God.

Artsy, so sorry to hear you dealt with it but you're not alone. Many of us have been in abusive relationships.

Eventually you get to the point of ENOUGH and you leave at all costs.

Once you get out, trust me, you will not regret leaving.

I never look back and wish I'd stayed in it, what about you Artsy?
    Leave while you can because it will only escalate.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Apr 2, 2009, 03:00 PM

Get out, get help and stay away from him. You are young and you have to save yourself now before you waste more of your time with someone who abuses you. It won't get better. IT will get more violent, he will control your every move and you won't have any freedom. This isn't love and it isn't healthy. The longer you stay, its like staying with a ticking time bomb. It isn't easy to leave and you will have to get a restraining order. He may still come after you... but if you can get away and stay somewhere safe, do it as quickly as you can.
    shyfoxie Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2009, 04:01 PM

Do have any close, supportive friends or relatives you could stay with? Nearby women's shelter? Get out of the house, file for restraining order and as long as you stay apart long enough that should give you sufficient grounds for divorce on top of the abuse.
    It'll be really hard but just keep telling yourself you are a strong woman, surround yourself with trustworthy, supportive people and you'll get through this. Just remember: NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS you know what is right for you.
    You're still young, you've got a lot of life ahead of you still, don't waste it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abusive Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

I've been married to my husband for 15 years. He is verbally, emotionally, psychologically and sometimes physically abusive. He belittle's me, calls me names, degrades me, yells at me, criticizes me and is a very negative person. He has pushed me, shoved me, throws things and has thrown water in...

Abusive Marriage [ 12 Answers ]

I have been married for 18yrs. We have three teens ages 18, 17, and 15. I know the children love me but my husband teaches the children to disrespect me disobey me, he says that he's a christian and because I want obey him he will never give me a divorce and will not ever teach the children to love...

Sign sole custody over to my kids father because I was in a abusive marriage and gett [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I let the father of my kids take them until I got out of a abusive marriage and to keep them safe. I finally got away and fled to Wisconsin. But then I still had legal custody over my kids. Some how he got me to sign a paper where he has sole and I have them on the weekends. Ive been back to...

Leaving Abusive Marriage. [ 3 Answers ]

I need to leave my abuser- problem is we live in an apartment in Texas.. both names are on lease but all utilites are in my name... what are my rights. I know I can have utilities shut off but what happens when I leave regarding lease. He will not let me work to pay my debts... I'm moving to...

Wanting out of an abusive marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I'm very tired and sad about the marriage that I am in. Ive been married sense 1998. I've been with my husband sense 1994. Are relationship has been unfaithful on both parts. I've tried so hard to make are relationship work we are together because we have three children, but we hate each other....

View more questions Search