Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stterforth_2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Notice of intent to end month to month lease
    I'm in Mishawaka, Indiana and I was initially on a lease, which expired 2/28/09 so I am now month to month. The lease stipulates that if the lease expires without renewal the terms of the lease still apply in the month to month situation. The lease also stipulates that the tenant shall provide the land lord with a 60 day notice of intent to vacate.

I think that this is unreasonable and I can't find a specific reference to the legality of this in Indiana but have received the general opinion that Indiana only requires a 30 notice by law and that the law supersedes the written agreement.

Can anyone confirm or deny this with a high degree of confidence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stterforth_2000 View Post
    Can anyone confirm or deny this with a high degree of confidence?
    Hello s:

I can. I suggest the law is the minimum, and can be increased by the terms of the lease. My degree of confidence is 7 out of 10.

But, I don't think your landlord is going to lay down because you heard it from an exconvict on the internet.

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
    I see nothing in the Indiana laws that states this law takes precedence over reasonable terms in a written lease. A requirement of 60 days notice is very common and definitely not considered unreasonable. In my opinion the landlord wins this one. My degree of confidence is 9.99 out of 10. Where did you get the "general opinion" from? An Indiana attorney?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Mar 27, 2009, 04:44 PM
    The time to question the reasonability of the clause was before you signed the lease. Indiana law does not prohibit the clause and only requires a MINIMUM of 30 days notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

View more questions Search