Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
    wahing machine waste line back up
    Hi Guys

I have a slight problem with the waste from my washing machine.

All piping is 2" pvc inside house hooking up to 2" cast iron going to septic.

Starting at cast iron and working back to stand pipe as follows

Tee with clean out=going left to right from tee 8" to trap. from trap to elbows 11".
    pitch 1/4" toward cast.

Elbows are vertical making 180 degree turn. Elbows are set with no pipe showing between them.

From elbow to vent 14"=from vent to stand pipe 16". Total from elbow to stand pipe 30"
    Pitch is 3/8" from stand pipe toward elbows.

Stand pipe 8" high.

The problem is that water backs up out of stand pipe after about half of water is discharged from washer.

Do not have room to change length of waste unless I go around corner of room.

Could increase 2" pvc to 3". Don't know if this will help.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
    The problem is that water backs up out of stand pipe after about half of water is discharged from washer
    This tells me that the clog's on down the line.
    Open up the clean out tee and run a snake down to the septic tank and see if that helps. Also increase the height of the stand pipe to 36" . Let me know, Tom
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks Tom
    Will give it a try and let u know how it comes out.

Thanks again

Chuck
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 01:04 PM

You said your standpipe was only eight inches high? I would use a coupling and extend the standpipe so that it is at least 18" high, but no longer than 30". Try this first and let me know if it solves the problem.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    You said your standpipe was only eight inches high? I would use a coupling and extend the standpipe so that it is at least 18" high, but no longer than 30". Try this first and let me know if it solves the problem.

Hi mgd

Unable to make stand pipe longer. The cast iron pipe to septic is 39" from floor. There is an 8" space between the top of cast pipe and bottom of standpipe. If I raise stand pipe to 18", it will be 6 feet 2 inches from floor and hose from washer will not reach.

I snaked out line to septic and had a minor blockage at end of run. I was thinking of putting some "Clobber" in drain as a back up to the snaking.

Would it be advisable to increase size of PVC to 3". I don't want to do this, but if it solves problem I will.

Thanks
    Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 03:36 PM

Increasing to three inch is a very good idea at this point.. A standpipe should be a min of 18 inches, but in you case, this is not possible. One other option would be to build a platform under the washing machine(about a foot high) so that you could extend the standpipe. This is a tricky one, three inch may sovlve the problem. But a 2 inch standpipe that is only eight inches high may not be able to take the water from a high output washer.

Its up to you, but the more I think about it, the more I believe increasing to three inch will help.

Im assuming there is not a separate vent for the washer, it just ties right into the main drain. Most likely the last fixture on drain before it exits the house? If it is, then you don't have a main drain problem. I you had a main drain blockage, every time you flushed a toilet, it would overflow out of the washer standpipe. So you either need to increase washer drainpipe and p trap, or raise washer and extend standpipe. Hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Thanks MGD

I have done washing machine set ups before, but never with the waste going out the wall at 3 1/2 feet above the floor. Will be changing the waste to 3" and hope this will solve the problem. At the same time will increase the amount of pipe by about 9 feet by going around corner. This will hopefully increase the amount of water in pipe enough to stop back up.

I don't have ceiling height to raise washer on a platform.

Thanks for your time and info.

Will let u know how I make out.

Thanks

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Let me give you a easy solution to that short stand pipe. If, after snaking,you still get backups then install a compression fitting,(see image) on the standpipe and prevent the discharge from backing up. That's what I had to do to my washer and it's been working for years with no backups or problems
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Speedball1 and mygirlsdad77

Thank u for your patience with me.

I increased the size of PVC to 3" and the length of waste line from stand pipe by going around corner of wall.This gave me an additional 10 feet for water before it gets to caste iron going to septic.

I also put on the compression cap on stand pipe.

Ran 2 heavy loads and everything is OK.

If the compression cap doesn't hold and water backs up will have Old Faithful. LOL

Thanks again guys

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 02:59 PM

Glad its working, good job. And thank you for the rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet waste back up into washing machine sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, in our 1910 house, it seems the toilet waste is backing up into the washing machine drainage sink. The machine is in the basement and the two toilets are on the upper floor. one on the first, one on the second, no new construction has happened. The machine does not back up on its own. It has...

Wahing Machine Discharge options [ 3 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a laundry room with new washer and dryer and want to hide all the pipes. The washer discharge is a concern because in the old laundry room the washer discharged into a wash tub and that drained into a standard 1.5 inch drain. I want to dischage directly into the drain under the new...

Wahing machine [ 1 Answers ]

At what rate does water drain from a front load washer ? How about a top load washer ? Thank you

Wahing machine problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trusty 18 year old maytag washer that filled the laundry Room with smoke and was making a weird sound.. I unpluged it And am trying to decide if this serious sounding problem is worth A service call or if I should head my wheels to the appliance store to Buy a new one.. anyone ever...

Wahing Machine drain problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hey folks, First time homeowner overwhelmed by his plumbing. My washing machine drain keeps backing up during the spin cycle. I had rotorooter come out to look for clogs, but they said there was no blockage, only a faulty installation of the drainage which does not allow the pump to filter...

View more questions Search