Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkline00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Craftsman 16.5 Lawnmower Won't Start
    I just purchased a 42" 16.5hp Craftsman lawnmower from a guy that bought it new, used it for two seasons and put it in storage for the last five or six years. I can't get it to start. When I put the fuel line directly into the carb it starts and stays running as long as I keep the fuel flowing steadily. When I engage the blades nothing happens, and when I don't push in the brake/clutch it does nothing, which it's suppose to do. So I don't think that any of the kill switches are bad. There is new gas in the tank, not that it matters, since it runs when the fuel line goes straight into the carb, like I said before. So from what I can deduct, there is something stopping the fuel from flowing to the carb. Any ideas? Thanks,
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2009, 11:56 AM

Blocked gas line or a dirty carb.

Mower_Man
    dkline00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 12:46 PM

Well it's not a blocked gas line, since I'm getting the gas to flow into the carb using the gas line. I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner and it looks pretty clean. What on the card would be dirty to cause this to happen? How hard is it to remove the carb so I could inspect it closer? What about the fuel shut off solenoid thingy that is located directly under the carb? Is it possible that it is stuck in the "off" position?
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2009, 12:50 PM

YES YOU ARE RIGHT! check if it is getting power.turn the key to the "on"poition and listen for a click.if there is no click,try cleaning it and checking if it is getting power if not replace it.
    Mower_Man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT1000 Riding lawnmower won't run [ 6 Answers ]

Having problems getting my riding lawnmower to run. Every time I turn the key it just clicks. Lights won't turn on and engine will not at all turn over or even come close. What are some things I should check to fix my problem. Thanks, Kelli

Craftsman 26 HP riding lawnmower [ 5 Answers ]

It turns on and rides fine but once I pull the blade engagement switch nothing happens. I guess what I am asking is why the blades won't engage?:confused:

Craftsman 21" lawnmower will not start [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my owner's manual on my craftsman 21" front-drive lawnmower. It hasn't been started in about 5 months and have not anything to the mower. I filled it up with fuel and primed the mower (should be 3 times) before I pulled the chord. I think it maybe flooded, but how long do I wait? What...

Craftsman lawnmower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My craftsman lawnmower won't start it almost starts near the end of the revolutions.can anybody tell me what they think it is it has spark it just does not catch in time. I think it is because I turned it on its side and flooded the piston if that is so please tell me what I can do to get the oil...

Craftsman lawnmower carburator being bad [ 1 Answers ]

We have tore this mower apart. Does anybody have a picture of the workings of this stupid thing? It is model#917.272352. At this point any info would be appreciated!!

View more questions Search