Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JSingle911 Posts: 35, Reputation: 8

Jan 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Heater only runs for 20 seconds at a time.
    Hello,

I have a gas heater in my trailer, not quite 20 years old. It heats up very well, but the fan will only stay on for 20 seconds at a time, tops. It seems to be keeping the trailer warm enough, but I suspect it is causing efficiency problems. We have even had someone cone in to look at it, and he had no idea.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, Josh
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:02 PM
    If you are capable, try bypassing the thermostat heating circuit to see if the unit will sustain a longer cycle. If it does, start looking closer at the thermostat as the culprit.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:07 PM

Is the burner cutting out also in 20 seconds?, I guess you know someone is going to ask you the brand name anf the model number,, so be ready,, :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
    I'll do it! I'll do it! What is the brand and model # ?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 04:17 PM
    If the fan is only staying on for 20 seconds or so and the burner keeps burning during that time then usually one of two items comes to mind.

The burner is not operating at the proper BTU output. This will cause the fan to short cycle since the burner cannot keep the furnace hot enough to keep the fan activated.

OR

The fan motor control sometimes called the fan and limit control could be out of calibration or defective allowing the fan to short cycle or the blower motor itself could be defective.

Furnace filter clean?
    Are all the registers open?

This could also cause a problem.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    I'll do it! I'll do it! What is the brand and model # ?

:D:D you did good;):rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
    I just love a dare!:p

Jan 14, 2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks for jumping on this, guys! I forgot to check the make and model before I left this morning, but I can tell you that I change the filters at the beginning of every cold season, and until recently, some vents were blocked off in a room we weren't using, but they are now all open. I will report back later with more info.

Thanks,
    Josh

Jan 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
    but I can tell you that I change the filters at the beginning of every cold season

BUT you do change them at least every two months?

Jan 14, 2009, 09:41 AM

I don't, but I usually will vaccuum them out. Do you think leaving them in could've caused damage?

Jan 14, 2009, 01:43 PM
    No as long as they were clean and in most cases you can see light through them

Mar 3, 2009, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I wanted to update this because the problem has gotten worse. It will now only stay on for about 15 seconds at a time.

The make and model:
    Miller MGHA-075ABFC-01
    Natural Gas Burning
    Blower model: 461350

The burner is still getting good and hot, so is it possible I might just need a new blower?

Mar 3, 2009, 05:38 AM
    That is possible but it could also be the blower control. If you have a thermostat that has a blower on switch turn it on then the blower should run all the time. If not jump the blower control disc to see if the blower will run for a longer time. If not or the motor is getting hot then it is probably the motor going bad.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2009, 06:04 AM

Go to furnaceparts.com,they should have a motor.

Mower_Man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet runs every 2 or 3 hours for 10 seconds [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet turns on for 5 to 10 seconds every few hours. I assume that there's a leak, that the water level recedes, and when it gets low enough, the float allows the water to come back on. I can't find the leak. I turned off the water at the wall, and drained the tank but there wasn't...

Pump runs 10 seconds and shuts off [ 6 Answers ]

Pool pump runs 10 seconds shuts off and comes on a few minutes later and the samething runs a few seconds and shuts off? It's a 2 hp sta rite pump nothing clogging the impellar spins freely any ideas thank you

Fan runs but compressor cycles off in 1-2 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I reviewed many posts but didn't see a diagnosis for this issue. I have a split system, forced air gas furnace with ac compressor unit outside. Unit is 5 years old, and outside of warranty. The compressor fan works fine, and cycles on when the thermostat goes to cool. The compressor cycles...

Water runs for 30 seconds and then stops running [ 8 Answers ]

For 5 days now whenever we turn on a faucet the water runs as expected for maybe 30 seconds and then just quits running. This is happening in the kitchen, shower, washing machine, basically everywhere in the house. We live outside the city limits and just recently started receiving 'city' water...

Furnace fan only runs for 30 seconds [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace in our home. Recently the furnace gas preheats and the fan comes on but only will run for 30 seconds, when the gas reignites the fan turns off. I changed the filter but that made no difference. I looked at the fuses and while looking discovered the that the hot and common wire...

View more questions Search