Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Want a home.
    My husband and I are currently living with roomates. We live in a small town and it is really hardt to find a place to rent on our own. Most the apartments here are low income and we obviously can't get into that when my husband works at a mine and makes 3000.00/month or more.

We are interested in trying to buy a home. We have 2 car payments that add up to 800.00/month w car insurance, and we have a minimum payment for a credit card that is 50.00. Also a 80.00/month college bill.

The house we are interested in is listed at 125,000.00. We haven't went to see the inside but looked at the outside and through the windows. Its obvious it will need some work. It is 1650 sq feet has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. And on the other side of the yard there is a little apartment that we can rent out that is about 600 sq feet. Has a bathroom, bedroom, living and kitchen. The yard has a lot of pontential, But the garage needs lots of work, You can tell it needs new carpet, and windows and doors are really rundown. We want our own place, and are willing to buy a fixer upper. When we meet with a agent, should we ask to lower the price, or is there a way we can get a small loan to fix it up?

Also I have done affordability calculators and when I put in our monthly income and debts it says we can only aford 30,000.00... that has to be wrong. We want this home because its has great potential and we have close family friends that would love to rent out the apartment and that would help with our monthly mortgage.. . How much should we rent ot out for.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 09:35 AM

Why can't it be right? If your base income right now is 3000/mo and you have 930/month in bills, that leaves your current Debt to Income ratio at 31%. VHA standards put anything over 41% (AFTER including your housing payment) into a special category of consideration (in this market that translates into no mortgage issued)

There is very likely not much chance of getting a mortgage. You can try, but I wouldn't spend much money on the process.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2009, 09:40 AM

The question is whether you have enough for a down payment.

I would go to some lenders and see if you can get prequalified for a mortgage. This will tell you how much you can afford.

If the house is in the condtion you say, its possible the owner may sell it on a Sales contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

View more questions Search