Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkung Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Neighbor leak damaged my condo unit
    I own a condo and I am doing a bathroom remodel. My contractor found that my neighbor had a overflow drain pipe leak. It's now fixed. The leak damaged the drywall in my bathroom ceiling and 2 walls. I heard that legally she is responsible to replace my drywalls and re-paint as well as being obligated to use my contractor to fix it as long as the quote is within reason. Is this true? Thank you!
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 PM

That is an interesting question and the best answer is that it all depends on the way your lease is written. I think that if you have a shared wall that the plumbing is running through you would have a hard time proving when and how this was damaged. You could probably take your neighbor to small claims court for the damages but since you already have had the remodel done I don't know that I would bother. Small claims court can issue a judgment in your favor but they have no means of forcing someone to pay other than waiting for their repayment frame and taking them back to court.

Remember that even if you do win a judgment against this person you still have to live next door to them.

Aaron
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkung View Post
    I heard that legally she is responsible to replace my drywalls and re-paint as well as being obligated to use my contractor to fix it as long as the quote is within reason. Is this true?
    Hello j:

Pretty much true. I'd get three estimates. They'll be obligated to pay the smallest. You, on the other hand, can use anybody to do the work that you choose.

Aaron was correct. Winning a judgment is only HALF the battle.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amsteube View Post
    That is an interesting question and the best answer is that it all depends on the way your lease is written. I think that if you have a shared wall that the plumbing is running through you would have a hard time proving when and how this was damaged. You could probably take your neighbor to small claims court for the damages but since you already have had the remodel done I don't know that I would bother. Small claims court can issue a judgment in your favor but they have no means of forcing someone to pay other than waiting for their repayment frame and taking them back to court.

Remember that even if you do win a judgment against this person you still have to live next door to them.

Aaron

There is no lease - it's a condo which the OP owns. See if it's covered in paperwork from the HOA.

Otherwise, I agree with excon (as usual) - three estimates. Their insurance should pay. If not, sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condo leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, about a year ago my bathroom had to be torn down because of a leak from above. I am about to finish remodelling but I can see a leak coming through between the drywall I have in the ceiling. Before I finish patching it up and painting I want to have this fixed. I went upstairs and it...

How does the condo association know the unit is not owner occupied? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

How does the condo association know I am renting out my unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

Sewage backup in condo unit on 11th floor [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a new condo on the 11th floor and I've been having plumbing issues for the last few months. The building contractors seem unable to help. Basically, I get sewage discharge coming up through my bathroom sink drain and when I flush the toilet the pipes in the shower make a gurgling or...

View more questions Search