Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troysaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Title Law - Auto - power of attorney required?
    Hello

I financed the purchase of a vehicle a couple of years ago, no issues with payment, everything is current etc.

I received a request to file a "Power of Attorney" to amend the vehicle's title. The finance company is not currently listed on the title as a lienholder.

What happens if I do not add them as a lienholder? Not trying to get out of paying them or anything just curious if they have any recourse and what that recourse might be.

Thanks

T
    C-O-P Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Feb 5, 2009, 05:58 PM

Not being listed as a lienholder does not imply that you do not have a debt to the finance company. It does, however, limit their ability to claim the vehicle should payments fall behind. The vehicle was, I am sure, properly listed as collateral for your loan, but without a lien being filed (similar to a standard UCC financing lien for commercial finance). The only way for them to take your vehicle now is to go to court - in which case you may end up owing them for legal costs too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 07:49 PM

If the loan papers state you will supply them a title with a proper lien, they could force you, and/or call in the loan.

I would read the loan papers carefully
    troysaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Thanks - appreciate the response.

No intent to avoid paying the loan - I was just curious about the nuances of not providing the POA.

Thanks for the feedback.

T

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

How much do power of attorneys cost?

Is water baseboard bleeding required with auto bleeders? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a bad boiler. Some of my baseboards are extremely difficult to get to due to built in furniture. If auto bleeder valves are in place, is it necessary to bleed each baseboard, or will the system eventually complete the process?

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the Power of Attorney Law in Pennsylvania. Is there a difference when two people are names as Power of Attorney for someone, if the wording is "AND" or "AND OR"? What does the different mean? If it POA says "AND" and one named POA does things without the...

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

View more questions Search