Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xa_nha_30_nam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Arrears Vs. wife's Bank Account
    My husband is owing substantial Child support arreas in Texas from his previous marriage. We have separate bank account, filed Tax separately. Question is, will his problem effect my personal account and/or my personal properties (all in my name as owner)? Will the child support levy my account or my personal properties or anything else related?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xa_nha_30_nam View Post
    My husband is owing substancial Child support arreas in Texas from his previous marriage. We have separate bank account, filed Tax separately. Question is, will his problem effect my personal account and/or my personal properties (all in my name as owner)? will the child support levy my account or my personal properties or anything else related?

A creditor cannot touch YOUR assets for HIS debts - they can, of course, lien against his or anything in joint names.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 05:45 PM

Be very careful because Texas is one of the states that has been hyper aggressive in the collection of child support. If your husband were to stop making payments and you are his sole support then there may be ways to come after you through him for the arrears. Talk with your local lawyer about asset protection just to make sure your being proactive enough.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Jan 20, 2009, 08:27 PM

Maybe you should tell your husband to pay his child support. Wouldny you want yours?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren6318 View Post
    maybe you should tell your husband to pay his child support. Wouldny you want yours?
    There is no legal advice in here for the OP. Your making way too many assumptions as to what the current status is. Op didn't state he wasn't paying on it they had just mentioned that he " owed " it. There is a big difference. So your comment is out of line for this question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren6318 View Post
    maybe you should tell your husband to pay his child support. Wouldny you want yours?

This is a legal board. It operates in a different manner from the other boards. We pride ourselves on the correct legal information we provide, non-judgmental legal advice. Please stop confronting posters and the people who answer and limit yourself to legal advice, answering the question posted.

Some of us are employed in the legal profession; others of us have a great deal of experience; some of us have great research skills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bank account got red flag I need my money who can I call for the bank to relase it [ 6 Answers ]

I have a over sea investment account that I have had for many years now. I am in some financial problem and need to liquidate that account. It a very large some of money. I got the account wire transfer to my bank account. I knew the bank would red flag it because of the large amount but now it...

Bank account seized. Received nationwide checks for claim (in account) can these be e [ 2 Answers ]

Small claims ct. seized bank account. Want to vacate nationwide claim checks for house repair from storm and vandalizim (can these be exempt funds?)

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Levy on Account, Wife's Debt, Help [ 11 Answers ]

An attorneys office placed a levy on our bank accounts 1 week ago today for a debt my wife owes. I am currently separated from my wife, however, she is on the account. She does not work and all the money in this bank account came from my direct deposit and I need it to support our 3 children. This...

View more questions Search