Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    condobuyer75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Paying assessments on short sale
    I am looking to buy a condo in Florida that is going through a short sale. The bank and I agreed on a price of $89,000 and I signed a contract. I was waiting for my closing date when my real estate agent called me and said that the seller has not paid their condo assessments for over a year amounting to $3,000. She also said the seller has no money to pay and the bank refuses to pay that amount. I get the feeling they want me to pay, but we agreed and I signed a contract to $89,000 not $92,000. Do I have any legal action? What are my options?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 06:15 AM

Does the debt transfer to you when you close? If so, insist the bank/seller pays or back out of the deal. You are right - you agreed to pay 89k. That's what you pay.

If the debt does not transfer to the new owner, ignore it - its not your problem... but be darn sure it doesn't become your problem.

My best advice though - and I am by no means an expert - is to stick to your guns. You are the buyer in a buyers market and are walking around with a very large check in your pocket. If the bank and the seller don't want to deal, walk away. Cause I live in FL too and am buying a home. There is very likely a place next door also for sale, and frankly, everything around here looks the same. :)

Talk you're your realtor. He should be able to better lay out your options. I would *guess* that this falls under a title lien and that is grounds for breaking a contract.
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2009, 10:01 AM

Unpaid lien on title = no mortgage.
    Sooo... either paid at close by "someone"
    or walk away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The house I am purchasing is in short sale, and it was appraised for less than the asking price. My agent told me that because of what the home was appraised at, the bank is not going to fund more money than that, therefore my contract is null and void. Do you think I will have to...

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to do a short sale and have a offer pending bank approval what is the options if it is not approved and is a short sale terrible on a credit report

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

How long does the owner get to have the house under short sale? Is there a time frame before the lender will take it back and foreclose on the house?

FHA short sale [ 4 Answers ]

I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03,...

View more questions Search