Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chantheman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Does anyone know the answer to this
    Why are droughts a problem on some Caribbean islands
    scaredypants Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:57 PM

Depends on the problem you're addressing.

Is it how are droughts a problem? Or why are droughts a problem?

To the later, I would argue that because most if not all water on and around caribean islands is salt water, and consequently the relliance on rain for fresh water is greater.

With fresh water you can cook, cultivate and drink. Where with saltwater you can't cook or cultivate land and drinking will eventually cause dillusions and death.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 09:00 PM

why are droughts a problem in ANY country? They can't grow their food. Granted, in a country such as the states, there is easy trade... you can just ship your food somewhere just as easily.

In the islands, since they are an island, it is harder to simply put food on a truck and drive a few miles.

Also, the Caribbean islands are known for their cash crops: sugar, coffee, cacao, coconuts, etc. No rain = no money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If the correct answer is May cgs, $15,500 how is the answer correct need to see work [ 1 Answers ]

P23-A The budget committee of Vinning office supply Co. Has assembled the following data. As the business manager, you must prepare the budgeted income statements for May and Jun 2006. A. Sales in April were $42,100.. You forecast that monthly sales will increase 2.0% in May and 2.4% in June.

I need an answer from a LDS [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, My story is a long one, so bear with me please, I promise there is a question here. When I was a teen ager, I began dating a young man who is Mormon. I am not. From the first moment we met, we had an unusual connection. It's like we had known each other forever. We never ran out of...

I need an answer [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what LOVE is. And what you think it is to you.

View more questions Search