Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mital Y Patel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Stem cell transplantation for the therapy of Diabetes Mellitus
    Future scope
    Liasdaughter Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Jan 2, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Diabetes mellitus is a condition, characterised by excessive hunger, thirst, and urination, and, very importantly, by constantly raised blood sugar (or blood glucose) level, especially at fasting state. As a result of that, some organs have an oversupply of glucose, while others are starved of glucose, as glucose are unable to enter into their tissue cells. The consequences could be (and often are), serious damage to the affected organs.

Type 1 usually develops in the early ages ("juvenile onset"), and often requires insulin treatment.

Type 2 usually develops later on, however, it increasingly occurs at younger and younger ages. Occasionally, it also needs insulin treatment, often gloucose lowering medications are sufficient, sometimes dietary restrictions, lifestyle changes (loosing excess weight, more exercise, etc) appears to be enough to control it.

The causing factors for diabetes could range from insulin deficiency (usually in Type l), insensitivity to insulin (usually in Type 2), some illnesses, or disposition to it, amongst other.

Increasing researches are done using stem cells in a quest of finding a successful treatment.

There is a private clinic, in Cologne, Germany, which is using stem cell transplantations to patients suffering from a wide range of illnesses, among them, Diabetes. According to their advertisement, they use the patients' own stem cells, harvested from their own bone marrow.

I do not endorse or evaluate this clinic in any possible way. But, since, they are using this technology, they seem to be a good source to ask about the research, results, and anything else, involved with stem cells implantation.

Their website can be found on

Home — XCell-Center

Their info is in English.

Hope it helps.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 12:29 PM

I heard that stem cells from fetus' are not as beneficial as other stem cells. I really don't know anything much about stem cell research though... just what I have been hearing.

Jan 4, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Liasdaughter View Post
    Diabetes mellitus is a condition, characterised by excessive hunger, thirst, and urination, and, very importantly, by constantly raised blood sugar (or blood glucose) level, especially at fasting state. As a result of that, some organs have an oversupply of glucose, while others are starved of glucose, as glucose are unable to enter into their tissue cells. The consequences could be (and often are), serious damage to the affected organs.

Type 1 usually develops in the early ages ("juvenile onset"), and often requires insulin treatment.

Type 2 usually develops later on, however, it increasingly occurs at younger and younger ages. Occationally, it also needs insulin treatment, often gloucose lowering medications are sufficient, sometimes dietary restrictions, lifestyle changes (loosing excess weight, more excercise, etc) appears to be enough to controll it.

The causing factors for diabetes could range from insulin deficiency (usually in Type l), insensitivity to insulin (usually in Type 2), some illnesses, or disposition to it, amongst other.

Increasing researches are done using stem cells in a quest of finding a successful treatment.

There is a private clinic, in Cologne, Germany, which is using stem cell transplantations to patients suffering from a wide range of illnesses, among them, Diabetes. According to their advertisement, they use the patients' own stem cells, harvested from their own bone marrow.

I do not endorse or evaluate this clinic in any possible way. But, since, they are using this technology, they seem to be a good source to ask about the research, results, and anything else, involved with stem cells implantation.

Their website can be found on

Home — XCell-Center

Their info is in English.

Hope it helps.
    I do believe, stem cell transplantation (or implantation), as the name suggests, is the implantation of a non-differenciated cell (a cell which has the ability to develop into ANY cell) for the purpose of eventually replace/help the unfunctional cells.

For example, beta cells (in the Islets of Langerhans in the Pancreas), produce and release insulin, according to the body's need, are usually damaged/destroyed in Diabetes Type 1. That is the reason they need insulin. By implanting stem cells, they might take the place of the nonfunctional beta cells, thus produce the necessary insulin.

The above clinic's advertisement, they use implantation for Type 2, as well.

PLEASE, ASK THEM ABOUT SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, AS THEY COULD PROVIDE YOU WITH THE REQUIRED CLINICAL INFORMATIONS. Unfortunately, I cannot.

However, I do not believe (or never heard of) using Chemotherepy for Diabetes. Chemotherapy basically means the chemical destruction of cells by using cytotoxic agents. It is usually used as a follow up treatment of cancer. What cancer cells might remained after the surgical removel of a cancerous tumor, the cytotoxic drugs are used to kill them.

Keeping that in mind, I cannot see any practical use of it for Diabetics.

Jan 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I heard that stem cells from fetus' are not as beneficial as other stem cells. I really don't know anything much about stem cell research though....just what I have been hearing.
    Hi,

You can find a very good article about stem cells at

Stem cells: What they are and what they do - MayoClinic.com

Jan 24, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I heard that stem cells from fetus' are not as beneficial as other stem cells. I really don't know anything much about stem cell research though....just what I have been hearing.
    Hi, if you are concerned about fetus' (embryonic) stem cells might be able to cause tumors (as they divide very quickly), you can also look up this article

Stem cells and tumor risk — XCell-Center

I find it interesting, hope you will, too. It is really amazing how far research already got.

Cheers: Liasdaughter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stem cell/spinal cord injury [ 2 Answers ]

What is the latest information on spinal cord injury? Is there any research using stem cell dealing with spinal cord injury?

Stem cell treatment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My dad has MND/ ALS for last three years. Can anyone tell me if the embryonic stem cell treatment is available in Mumbai, India? If anywhere else, where? Thanks.

Solar cell & photo cell [ 6 Answers ]

What is the different between solar cell & photo cell ( photo electric effect exp... ) ?

HCC and transplantation [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently awaiting transplantation of a liver. I have HCC (Liver Cancer). I understand that if my cancer metastesises that I will no longer be eligible for the transplant. Is this true? And if so, how long befgore a lesion (approx 2.1 cm.) metastesises? I know that livers are more readily...

Stem Cell Research [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

View more questions Search