Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivy_sweet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Water retention relief pills while on the pill
    Hi there, this may be a silly question but is it all right to take herbal water retention pills while I'm on the pill to help get rid of the water retention? I know they are suitable for PMS just before a normal period but I'm just checking they will work just as well since I'm on the pill. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a bit ditzy :rolleyes:
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 24, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Hi Ivy,
    It's very difficult to say without knowing exactly what herbs you are taking. Though offhand, taken in moderation and over shorter periods, most simple diuretic herbs are probably not likely to produce any common adverse interactions. Though bear in mind, I am not a licensed herbalist by any means.
    There are a great deal of plants, such as red clover, and even soy, that are very high in phytoestrogens. Plants such as wild yam are high in progesterone. And herbs such as black cohosh can significantly effect menstrual cycles as well. Though the effcts of many of these are probably minimal, some do need to be taken into serious consideration.
    Be aware as well, that there is always a higher risk of clotting with oral contraceptives, so do make sure nothing you take increases this tendency, or in any way facilitates consistently elevated levels of vitaim K in the blood. Dandelion leaves, a common diuretic, are high in vitamin K.
    Overall, I'd recommend researching them, or better yet, getting the qualified opinion of an herbalist or naturopath, but I do agree you are likely, if generally healthy, probably at little serious risk here. Take care. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2006, 08:30 AM
    I agree with what Thomas had to say, however I would like to add one thing.

Some herbs along with antibiotics tend to make the birth control pill less effective. It is best that you ask your pharmacist if the herbal diuretics you want to take will effect the pill that you are currently prescribed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Data retention on flash cards [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm just wondering if flash media (like Secure Digital cards) are erased or if there is any data corruption when a magnet is placed on the media. Thanks for letting me know! -WeS

Please Help(migraine Relief) [ 4 Answers ]

I just want to ask a quick question... I have been looking for alternatives to migraine medication and I was wondering if anyone new anything about what Mannatech does and the side affects to the medication... Basically I want to know if Mannatech and Ambrotose works for Migraines and nausea?. Also...

Praying for financial relief [ 6 Answers ]

I have been praying for financial relief. Will I get an answer?

Water Heater Pressure Relief [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater pressure relief valve is pouring water out of the valve. Do I have a problem with the tank or do I need to turn the temperature down on the heater. More background information: We went on vacation and turned off the water heater and the water to the house. When we returned, we...

View more questions Search