Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Invoice and autonumbering/vlookup
    I want to create my own invoice and a couple of questions I would like to know in Excel
    1. How could I set it with an Autonumber?
    2. Would I use Vlookup in a named range to find the item
    3. For tax to be added on after subtotal would I use the = sum function + the subtotal?
    Any suggestions , nothing fancy or complicated , thanks
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 01:52 AM

1. Auto Numbering is a can of worms. There are many ways to TRY, but all of them have their down sides. It can be done, but I'd get my invoice designed and working before I let that one piece stop the whole thing.

2. I use LOOKUP formulas all the time do exactly that. Name the Items with an easy-to-remember "name" and you can use that in your lookup formula.

For instance, on Sheet2, you might have ITEM Desc in column A, and Item Codes in Column B. Name the A column (A2:A1000 or so) Desc and name the same range in Column B (B2:B1000 or so) named as Codes.

Then back on sheet1, select a cell to choose Item Descriptions from, click on Data > Validation > List =Desc to present your item descriptions in a drop down box, perhaps starting in cell A3.

Now, in B3, enter this formula:
    Code:
    B3   =LOOKUP(A3,Desc,Codes)
    The description will now appear on it's own when you make a choice in cell A3. Now copy those two cells down and you can make independent choices on each row.

Take that and expand on it to complete your sheet, looking up other needed data.

3. Tax. Put a tax RATE somewhere on your sheet, perhaps at the top of the column where you will put taxes.

I will assume you want the tax to show separately, so simply multiply the item price by the tax rate cell. Then in the next cell to the right, add the total and the tax columns to get a final price.
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Dec 12, 2008, 06:56 AM

The Microsoft web site also has free templates. Check the following URL for Excel invoice templates:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...oice&av=TPL000
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks both of you. Going to give it a shot and let you know, the outcome, keep fingers crossed!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 12:22 PM

You can post sample workbooks here and get help, or email me privately and I'll help where I can. Click on my name to send an email.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vlookup what does that mean. [ 3 Answers ]

Can any one tellme.. what does vlookup formula mean in excel...

Vlookup formula [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently using MS-Excel 2003. Having a terrible time with Vlookup. The concept seems easy enough – but I can’t get it to work with just 2 spreadsheets – and pulling only 1 column from the other spreadsheet. I have these fields on one spreadsheet. Worksheet Tab 1 Worksheet Tab 2...

Limitations of VLOOKUP [ 3 Answers ]

I have a column of values that can't be put in ascending order. 20 55 3 61 2 etc. I want to lookup another value that corresponds to each of these numbers.

View more questions Search