Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oncewasbrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Cracked ceilings
    I bought a house built in the late 30's. Had it moved, gutted it, and put up new insulation
    And new sheetrock. Now the ceilings are cracking in every room. Is there any information that can be given to help fix this problem?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

You moved the building and now it has to settle.

By removing it from a stabilized setting and putting it on a new unsettled one,like any new construction,there will be settling.
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 04:50 PM

Let the house settle for about a year. Once it has been through all four seasons, you should, if the foundation is stable, be able to patch and paint those nasty cracks with reasonable success. Good Luck... Roland
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2008, 10:20 PM
    I agree with both answers though I'm not sure I agree with the time frame of 1 year. Depending on when you moved the house and how much rain/snow falls in a year it can take a lot longer than a year for a house to settle completely. Also what kind of foundation it was placed on can make a huge difference in it's rate of settlement and how much the actual house will settle.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall on ceilings [ 7 Answers ]

We are building our own home to earn equity program. My husband hung our drywall using 1/2 inch sheets on the ceilings with 24" in between joists. We have been told by our drywall finisher that the ceiling will sag because we were supposed to use 5/8. Is there anything we can do now to correct...

Popcorn ceilings [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a product to fill in popcorn ceilings. Do not want to remove because of cost related to asbestos.

Knock-down ceilings [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the easiest way to do a knock-down ceiling and walls?

Condensation on ceilings [ 1 Answers ]

We are having condensation problem in a closet on the ceiling. When checking out the attic for a problem we find that the floor of the attic in that area and the insulation is dry. But in the bedroom area in the attic we find that where a large piece of plywood lays there is condensation on...

Ceilings different levels [ 1 Answers ]

I just removed a wall that was separating my livingroom and my kitchen and now they are two different levels. My kitchen is about a inch lower than the living room.my kitchen is drywall and my living room is ceiling tile how could I join the two rooms without building a header to go over it

View more questions Search