Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumerbreze Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Asset Acceptance.Harrasing me for my deceased Grandfathers credit card
    Hi,
    My grandfather died May of 2003 and to help my grandmother I was calling creditor to closed out his accounts and send the death certificates. I called citbank, whichis the bank representing Home Depot credit cards to explain my grandfathers death. I sent all the necessary documents to close the account. Well my grandfather had me on the account as a co-signer. Citi Bank closed his account and sent a new credit card in my name with his balance on it. Well of course I called them and they said sice I was a co-signer I was responsible for the debt. I told them they would have to put me 6 feet in the ground before I would pay this debt.

Well of coursr I haven't paid it and then Asset Acceptance bought the account.
    I have disputed with them and with the credit bureau and had it taken off a couple of them.

What can I do to get them off my back. I don't answer the phone and it has been 5 yrs. Of them calling my #. There is nthing in my name because I haven't charged anythingto the account and they won't be able to find any documents to prove this either. Please Help!

Janet
    NASCAR_Devil Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 08:06 AM

Was this a Joint Account or were you an Authorized User only? AU=no financial responsibility whatsoever.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2008, 09:04 AM

If you were a co-signer to this account, thewn you are responsible for the debt. You should have settled when the balance was lower.

If they take you to court on this, you will lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a deceased persons credit card, but not just that. [ 12 Answers ]

This is a long story. My father passed away in September of '06. Years ago, he opened a credit card (Visa) and put me on as an authorized user. I have a card with my name on it, but I am not to my knowledge, considered "an owner" of the credit line. To that point, I have tried to call them many...

Lawsuit filed by asset acceptance [ 10 Answers ]

I have been served with a lawsuit by asset acceptance. A few years ago, when I was unexpectedly unemployed, I could not make the payments on three credit cards. A bankruptcy lawyer told me I could either pay or ignore them. I tried to ignore them as I am barely catching up on basic expanses. But...

Deceased credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

Is a surviving spouse responsible for deceased spouses credit card debt if their name wasn' t on the account?

Credit Card of the deceased! [ 2 Answers ]

My grandmother is 86 years old. My grandfather had a credit card only in his name and he passed away in 2002. The credit card company started hounding her for the money and took her to court. They had told her that if she sent a copy of a death certificate that they would close the account and...

Asset Acceptance Collections [ 8 Answers ]

Help! I am trying to get a mortgage on a house (first time buyer!) I have settled all my collection accounts on my credit except this one with Asset Acceptance, now the strange thing about this is bought my debt back in 2003. The original credit was First Consumers National Bank, they sold all this...

View more questions Search