Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tootsie1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Is it harassment by a police officer?
    I have an open IA complaint against a police officer in my town. Its been open for about 6 months now. Ever since this incident with him occurred he has been on top of every move I make. Now I know he, theoretically, is doing his job but Im starting to feel harassed by him. He has gone as far as to giving my brother tickets when he is driving my truck. By all means, he is doing all this within the law so it makes it a very tricky situation for me. If I park a centimeter over the crosswalk. Ticket. I I make a right hand turn on red. Ticket. Its just everything he can do he does. All within the spectrum of the law though. He has even arrested my boyfriend for open warrants in front of our 8 year old son. Now don't get me wrong, I know he is doing his job, so to speak, however I feel he should be keeping his distance being I do have a complaint against him that has yet to be satisified. The complaint has been forwarded to my counties Prosecutors Office for review. Is there ANYTHING that could be done to keep him from, quote on quote, harassing me?
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2008, 06:53 PM

Stop breaking the law.

Nov 12, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony J View Post
    stop breaking the law.
    That's actually the reply I was looking for! Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 05:50 AM

He's just going out of his way to make your life miserable and it's working. Just don't give him any reason to stop you or your boyfriend and give you a ticket. The outstanding warrants on your boyfriend can be confronted in front of anyone. Too bad the 8 year old was there but oh well, he had outstanding warrants and the kid will learn about what happens to people who break the law.

As you said he was just doing his job. There is nothing he is doing that could be considered harassment. Writing tickets can be contested in court. Now if he was following you around in his car or on foot inside stores while you are shopping - that is harassment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 07:17 AM

You did not say what the IA complaint was about,

But by doing this, he is showing you, your friends and family as law breakers, even if minors and hanging around people with warrants.
    So this is going to show you as someone not as trust worthy in the report.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Hello t:

I would certainly report his activities to his supervisor. I would plead NOT GUILTY to every ticket he issues. I would carry around a video camera to film EVERY interaction with this rouge cop. I would take my evidence to court to apply for a restraining order against him. I would write letters to the mayor of your town, and to the newspapers. I would file ANOTHER complaint against him, and another, and another if necessary.

Then, if I thought about it for a time, I'd EVEN do more.

excon

Nov 13, 2008, 09:03 AM
    The IA complaint was about him grabbing me. One night we were in a parking lot (me and my 2 friends) just chatting in the car. Apparently the cops were called, which wasn't the problem. When the officers came they were just asking basic questions, nothing out of the ordinary. I have 2 children, both were with their grandmother at the time. By no means am I a partier but I feel a social night out with a few friends is well earned sometimes. After they asked what we were doing, which was nothing, just talking, they were about to let us go. It was freezing outside and they had us standing there for quite some time. We were all going home when they came up on us. At one point he asked me where my children were and I told him. No big deal. After the questions were getting a little much I finally asked if we could go as he was questioning my one friend. Who by the way is a 23 year old male. The officers reply to me was, "You are worried about a 23 year old man and you're not even worried about your own children?". Im sorry but at that point I became very upset. He doesn't know anything about me, none the less, to assume Im not worried about my own children. I felt that this was an extremely out of line comment. As I became upset, I went to walk away and he grabbed me. Not only did he grab me while saying "Where do you think you're going?", he left finger print bruises on my arm! After being advised by a few people I decided to file the complaint. Ever since then, every move I make, there he is. He is doing all this within the law however. But it is becoming extremely distressing. I now park my car and check it 4 times before I walk away just to make sure he can't ticket me for anything. If it was any other cop writing tickets, etc.. I wouldn't even mind. I am fully aware that if you park illegally you WILL get ticketed. Its just I feel he is out to get me now.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Hello again, t:

Yeah, I know how they are. Please don't lay down. DO what I tell you to do. BE aggressive in STOPPING this cop, or you'll be aggressed against, as you are now. And, they carry BIG guns.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

Harassed by a Police Officer or Not? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering what should I do if I am being harassed by a police officer? Well let me tell you my situation. It all started when I bought a chevy pickup that is currently a lowrider. The pickup came with dark tinted windows when bought it, directly from a chevy dealer. One day I was going...

Possible police harassment and entrapment. [ 12 Answers ]

After a night on the town, at around 2am, one of my friends, Paul, and I had an argument and it got a bit heated and some pushes were exchanged. We were both heavily intoxicated with alcohol. Another mutual friend, Matt, who hadn't been involved in the argument stepped between to de-escalate the...

Becoming a police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I want to become a police officer in New York city, but I'm from ireland, what can I do?? Please answer :) :)

View more questions Search