Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sasha_1 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2008, 03:14 PM
    21 weeks, not feeling baby move
    Hi,

I am 21 weeks pregnanat. I have been asked by my doctor and friends if I have started feeling the baby move. I have not yet. This is my first baby. My dr says it's fine. Is it normal?

Sometimes I feel a throbbing, kind of like a heart beat at different positions in my tummy. Is this my baby's heart beat? How do I make out baby's movements?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 8, 2008, 03:36 PM

You are quite a ways not to feel the baby move, but there are women who never feel their babies move, so you aren't alone. The important thing is that your doctor sounds like he/she is comfortable with what you are reporting. The flutter that you feel is more than likely the baby moving, even though it may be very faint. When I first felt my son moving it simply felt like butterfly wings brushing my insides. A lot of women also report only the feeling of "gas".
    Be happy, if your doctor was worried, then that's when you should worry. Your baby is still pretty tiny in there, so it's not to surprising you aren't "feeling" it. Also, if you are a bigger statured person, as I myself am, then this too can be cause for not feeling it. Even 10-20 lbs overweight can attribute to lack of feeling.
    Also, and this is HUGE... this is your first child, so don't be alarmed.
    Hope this helped a little. Enjoy your pregnancy, and may your delivery be as painless and stressfree as possible.
    sasha_1 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hi homebirthmom,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is exactly I feel, like a butterfly fluttering sometimes. As per weight and stature goes, I am petite, 5,2" and my pre-pregnancy weight was 100 pounds. So I am not overweight.

I had a lot of vomiting and nausea, so I put on 12 pounds till now, so haven't grown that big either. Thanks for your wishes.
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 9, 2008, 02:30 PM

Well, it sure sounds to me like you are having a fairly "normal" pregnancy. I say normal only in the general sense, as everyone's "normal" is different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

38 weeks pregnant and not feeling anything [ 12 Answers ]

Is it normal to be 38 weeks pregnant and still haven't felt any contractions? When would I know?

Baby turned and feeling pressure [ 3 Answers ]

What to do when it feels like my baby turned downwards and I feel a lot of pressure down the front of my belly and in my pelvic, I don't feel my baby moving as much I did before, she was very active. I'm 7 months, they say but I think I might be longer. This is my first child. I do feel her move in...

37 weeks pregnant today and have not felt the baby move all day [ 70 Answers ]

I haven't felt the baby move all day, I know that the baby doesn't have a lot room to move but shouldn't he or she move? Is their anything I can try to make the baby move a little?

Not feeling my baby move [ 7 Answers ]

I am 18 weeks and 5 days pregnant. For the past couple of weeks I have felt my baby move and over the last few days it has been pretty often. As of now I have not felt my baby move in about 24 hours. I am starting to freak out and I don't go back to the dr until next Friday. Am I just being...

View more questions Search