Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Atenweg,
    I know that this is a discussion board and mainly so far on religion.
    But the question was asked why are atheists here and I picked up on that.
    I really would like to know the real reason.
    I think that they themselves don't real know what it is, because the reason given so far do not jell with me.
    I think that religion draws them even if it is just a religious board.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:12 PM

Fred,

As a religious discussion board we discuss belief in certain religions, religious events, and the absence of religion.

We all have a right to express our views on the subject, even those that don't believe in any religion.

There is a Christianity board, there is not an atheist board, or a Deist board, so that leaves the religious discussions board. In fact, it is my understanding that the religious discussion board was started mainly for people like Cred, MichelB and myself, people who do not have a specific board to go to in order to discuss their beliefs.

I for one come here because I'm interested in others beliefs and how they differ from my own. I will discuss things when I don't agree, or ask questions when I don't understand someone's point of view. It's a great way to learn about others belief system and why they believe the things they do.

In other words, if we are open minded, open hearted, we may just learn a thing or two about each other. That's always a good thing, right? :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Atenweg,
    I also in interested in others beliefs.
    I have nothing against atheists. They are welcome to believe as they wish like everyone else.
    That does not mean that I should not be interested in whay they are attracted to religious boards.
    They have been on every one that I have visited including one on witches.
    I find that very interesting.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:33 PM

Like I said Fred, the religious discussion board was actually started for Atheists etc, because there is no board assigned to that belief.

There's a Christianity board, a buddhism board, Hinduism board, Islam board, Judaism board, but no Atheism board, no Deism board either. So, where are we to go? That's why they started the Religious Discussions board, for all of those that wish to discuss their beliefs but don't fall into any of the categories that are listed.

It is actually against the rules for me to go to the Christianity boards unless I'm there to talk about Christianity, which of course I don't believe in. I'm also not Jewish, nor am I a budhist, I can go to these boards to view what is being said, but I cannot join in as I don't have the same beliefs.

This board gives the rest of us somewhere to go to discuss what we believe, that is why you'll find Atheists, Deists, possibly even Satanists on this board.

Does that answer your question? :)
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Atenweg,
    I know that this is a discussion board and mainly so far on religion.
    But the question was asked why are atheists here and I picked up on that.
    I really would like to know the real reason.
    I think that they themselves don't real know what it is, because the reason given so far do not jell with me.
    I think that religion draws them even if it is just a religious board.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I don't know that I believe in God in any sort of traditional sense, but I like Jesus; not so much those that interpret him or the bible. In my life I have met and heard a great many Christian and one thing is for certain, not all of them interpret the bible in the same way.

However, being sort of a non-believer I am here to learn more in my quest with regard to my existence or help people examine their beliefs through the prism of my life experiences and what 'God' has revealed to me personally; if that makes sense to anyone... lol.

Note: I answered the original post about a page ago.
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:40 PM

Texas Parent, I think we may have very similar beliefs.

I myself am a Deist;

Deism is the belief that a supreme God exists and created the physical universe, and that religious truths can be arrived at by the application of reason alone, without dependence on revelation. It is in contrast with fideism, found in many forms of Christianity[1], Islamic and Judaic teachings, which holds that religious truths rely upon revelation in sacred scriptures and upon the testimony of other people as well as reasoning.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God has a plan for the universe, which he does not alter by intervening in the affairs of human life nor by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources. Deists believe that God's greatest gift to humanity is not religion, but the ability to reason.

Nov 2, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Texas Parent, I think we may have very similar beliefs.

I myself am a Deist;

Deism is the belief that a supreme God exists and created the physical universe, and that religious truths can be arrived at by the application of reason alone, without dependence on revelation. It is in contrast with fideism, found in many forms of Christianity[1], Islamic and Judaic teachings, which holds that religious truths rely upon revelation in sacred scriptures and upon the testimony of other people as well as reasoning.

Deists typically reject most supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God has a plan for the universe, which he does not alter by intervening in the affairs of human life nor by suspending the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources. Deists believe that God's greatest gift to humanity is not religion, but the ability to reason.
    Thank you so much, I wondered if there were others who thought along similar lines. For most of my life I have felt like an orphan, trying to fit in and grow spiritually, but incapable of abandoning MY truth and having no one to share my thoughts on the matter with.

I am interested in finding out more about Deists; do you have any suggestions as to where I might learn more?
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Atenweg,
    No it does not.
    My question is why do religious boards attract atheists.
    But the thought your answer just gave me is that for some there is no where else to go.
    I'm happy that this board was made as it was and gives them and others an opportunity to discuss beliefs.
    I find much what is posted here interesting and informative as I'm sure others do.
    Thanks for your discussion on this.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:53 PM

Texas Parent, I felt exactly the same way you did, in fact, until a few months ago I didn't even have a name for my beliefs, it was Cred that told me about Deism, and after reading the definition I was so relieved, yup, that's exactly what I believe.

There are a lot of sites on the web that will give you a better understanding. If you like I could PM you a few links, or you can Google Deism, or Deists, that should give you a starting point.

I too am very glad to meet someone with the same beliefs as mine, I was beginning to think I was the only one on this site that believed this way. :)
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Atenweg,
    No it does not.
    But the thought your answer just gave me is that for some there is no where else to go.
    I'm happy that this board was made as it was and gives them and others an opportunity to discuss beliefs.
    I find much what is posted here interesting and informative as I'm sure others do.
    Thanks for your discussion on this.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Anytime Fred, anytime. :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Texas Parent,
    This is as good a board for that as any I have seen.
    There may be a deist board or something similar at Ask Questions - Get Answers [ Welcome ]
    There is a Christian and a Catholic board there where deists have particpated on.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Nov 2, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Texas Parent, I felt exactly the same way you did, in fact, until a few months ago I didn't even have a name for my beliefs, it was Cred that told me about Deism, and after reading the definition I was so relieved, yup, that's exactly what I believe.

There are alot of sites on the web that will give you a better understanding. If you like I could PM you a few links, or you can google Deism, or Deists, that should give you a starting point.

I too am very glad to meet someone with the same beliefs as mine, I was beginning to think I was the only one on this site that believed this way. :)
    I wonder if me being Canadian has anything to do with it? Moved to Texas a couple of years ago. I wiki-ed Deism and found your quote and read about half the page; pretty much on track, but there are other aspects of my beliefs that would be interesting to bounce off you at a later date, I don't know yet if they fit under Deism, but I haven't really had a chance to examine the Deism beliefs (or lack thereof) enough yet.

It's sort of sad though, and here I thought I was an original thinker... lol.

Thanks again, I will take you up on your offer about sites and the like sometime soon.

Nov 2, 2008, 11:05 PM
    Texas Parent,
    This is as good a board for that as any I have seen.
    There may be a deist board or something similar at Ask Questions - Get Answers [ Welcome ]
    There is a Christian and a Catholic board there where deists have particpated on.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Thank you. I'm new to the board, and the few posts that I have seen suggest this is a little more civil than some other threads with regard to religious views I've stumbled across.
    Pets Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 11:07 PM

Texas Parent, anytime you want to talk just PM me, I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have.

As for being an original thinker, I felt the same way, but I find it comforting to know that I'm not the only one who feels or thinks this way. Besides, being a free thinker is one of the aspects of being a Deist, so you're in good company. ;)

There are some things about Deism that I also don't agree with 100%, but it is definitely the closest to my way of thinking, to my beliefs.

I am proud to call myself a Deist. :)
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Nov 3, 2008, 04:25 PM
    ....My question is why do religious boards attract atheists....
    Dear Fred,

Board Management seems to accept that Atheism is just another world view - a view that excludes any supranatural entity and/or ignores such an existence.

Atheism is just as valid a world view as theism. And as both relate to the existence of a supra-natural entity, they belong on the religious discussion board.

Have a nice day, Fred !

:)

Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Nov 3, 2008, 04:35 PM
    There are some things about Deism that I also don't agree with 100%, but it is definitely the closest to my way of thinking, to my beliefs.
    Dear Alt :

Within Theism and Atheism there are many different views.
    It seems to be a human treat to insist on individual interpretations of similar religious views, including the Atheist view that excludes and/or ignores a supra-natural entity.

:)

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Your original question is " If you saw Jesus work miracles would you believe?" Who is that question directed at?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Nov 5, 2008, 02:40 PM

Different ones have given testimonies of miracles done in the name of Jesus Christ. They have answered the post, while others have answered in the negative, saying there is no OSE. They will never get any more OSE than they have already had, and indeed for most of them there could never be enough OSE to satisfy them.

Don't confuse them with facts, their minds are made up!
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Nov 5, 2008, 02:47 PM

OK.. the Bible is a book... written by whom? When? Exactly... Catholic priests back in the day who wanted to make a living off people paying the church for every sin, family birth, marriage, etc. Then people freaked out and went crazy and said Jesus and Moses did all these crazy things like Houdini... Being locked inside a tomb and escaping!! Wow its amazing... and also a moral story more or less... not necessarily a true event. Many stories in the bible.. Noah's ark for example have a moral ending like a fiction novel... Am I convinced that God exists? No, the Bible which is suppose to be the right way to live is a collection of moral stories with a few extra books written in by Catholic priests and bishops.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:40 PM
    aaj2008,
    Your grasp on real authentic history is amazingly poor.
    Look up history of the bible on the internet or contact the American Bible Society for it.
    I think you will be amazed at how wrong you are.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is Jesus to you? [ 175 Answers ]

Just wanted to get people's opinion of who Jesus is to you and why you feel the way you do? No trick, just want to discuss...

What kind of work is Jesus teaching about here? [ 10 Answers ]

Matthew 25:14. `It is like a man about to go abroad who summoned his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to a third one, each in proportion to his ability. Then he set out on his journey. 16. The man who had received the five talents...

Morbidly Obese and need to loose weight now- any miracles [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I need any advice, insiraptional storie, food diaries, in fact anywting Im a 21 year old female who is fearful to say weighs 22 stone I have managed. I have always been heavy for my age and come from a family if big people however I have come gto braking point I look in the mirror and don't...

There never was a Jesus? God? [ 165 Answers ]

I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes...

Super Natural Miracles Testimonies! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am in need of a super natural miracle, I believe God is a miracle worker and through his son Jesus Christ we a conquerors. I need to work on my faith, and study the word of God, this is where I lack in my life. My question is, is there anyone out there who have been blessed in...

View more questions Search