Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Pulse Rate Going Slower
    I would like to know the significant symptoms of having a low pulse rate. My pulse ran about in the mid 60's when I was an athelete(of sorts), about low 70's when I was just average overweight, but now, my pulse runs in the mid to low 50's. What are the symptoms of having such a low pulse... is being tired one of them?

How low can a person's pulse go before they lose consciousness?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Choux, what medications are you taking? Certain meds can lower the pulse rate, but this is considered quite low. It can be this low during sleep cycles, but during waking cycles it should be in the 60s and above.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 01:58 PM

I do take high blood pressure medications like diovan, metprolol, verapamil... I'm concerned that this is running waaaay too low and accounts(in part) for me being very tired and lethargic. It seems to me it can run somewhat higher.

If I'm not anxious awaiting medical personnel here, my blood pressure will run like 120/60, but if a medical person is coming and I'm upset, my blood pressure will run as high as 160/80.

I want to make it through the election to Nov 5th!

Seriously, what do you think?
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
    I think it's the blood pressure medication. Particularly the Metoprolol. This is a beta blocker and one of the more serious side effects is bradycardia (slow heart beat). It will account for you being tired and lethargic, as well as some very serious complications. You need to contact your doctor about this ASAP.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 02:46 PM

Excellent, thank you so much. Thank heavens we have a nurse on this board! :)
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Choux, I am certain it is the metoprolol... Not only did I look it up in my drug reference, but I experienced the same thing. My heart rate went into the upper 40s before my doctor changed meds on me. It sounds as though you are sensitive to beta blockers.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 30, 2008, 04:25 PM

Both metoprolol and verapamil can cause bradycardia

Verelan PM (Verapamil) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList

Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList

I would talk to your doc about these medications.

Do not suddenly stop the metoprolol [ beta blocker ] as this could result in REBOUND high blood pressure and or fast heart rate.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 11:00 AM

Thank you guys. I am having so much trouble with my heart lately. Will read all the links.

I spoke to my visiting nurse yesterday, and she is going to talk to the Dr. Today, my blood pressure is 180/90 or 80, and I'm very concerned, and I take all that heart medicine!

I have developed panic attacks lately, I think they drive up my blood pressure. I feel a lot of stress when medical people visit me, and also when I'm overcome by problems.

I just like to be alone with my cat!

Do naps help? I'm going to go take a nap and see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

89 civic no injector pulse [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 89 civic 1.5L, (2 injector) we are not getting an injector pulse. We can pour gas in the trottle body and the car will start and run, but no pulse. Any help out there?

My wireless internet slower than wired one [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a dg834g V3 and I am using my hp compaq 6710b with it but I noticed that the internet is very slow in wireless compared to the wired connection I mean I tried both wired and wireless internet in my laptop and the wired is much faster, and I tried my laptop in another places that have...

Slower low speed? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two 52" ceiling fans on one circuit hanging from a vaulted ceiling. With blades pushing up (winter) low speed still creates a draft during cold periods. Can an off-the shelf control lower the speed on two fans, or is the rpm determined by the windings?

Bidet That Pulse Hot Water [ 7 Answers ]

I've got a bidet (the thing next to the toilet) that sounds like a machine gun going off (pulsating hot water pipe) every time I use it (or turn on hot water). Seeing as this noise just started recently, any idea what the cause maybe this pulsating ?

View more questions Search