Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Oct 29, 2008, 10:07 AM
    National code questions for livingroom wiring
    Hi there everyone,

20a circuit & 12ga wire:

I'm wiring a living room (14x18). Am I correct in my interpretation that I require only two circuits, one for the outlets and one for outlets/lighting?

I ask because in a kitchen application, lighting was not to be on any of the appliance circuits and I'm wondering if it's the same for a living room application.

thanks,
    json
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Oct 29, 2008, 08:58 PM

I was going to answer this with a wealth of information but decided not to confuse the issue, so instead...

You are fine with one 15A circuit in a living room that size covering required receptacles and lighting.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Oct 29, 2008, 09:18 PM

If there's any exclusions or exceptions that would require otherwise, I'm open to hearing them, as I appreciate the extra information :)

Thanks for the help you already provided, though :)

Thanks,
    Json
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Oct 29, 2008, 10:37 PM

Well, if you know what the loads will be then you have to size the circuits accordingly but I can't think of much in a living room that would require additional circuits, other than possibly heaters or air conditioning units.

Also, that living room could share a circuit with another room. I try to keep to 10 outlets on a 15A circuit or 13 on a 20A. By outlets I mean both receptacles and lighting.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim View Post
    If there's any exclusions or exceptions that would require otherwise, I'm open to hearing them, as I appreciate the extra information :)
    Not much I could add. Tev's replies covered it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading the NFPA 70 etc. National Electric Code Online [ 1 Answers ]

It does seem impossible to search for, but just about any code published by the NFPA is readable online. You will have to register for a username and password. The NFPA 70: National Electrical Code starts here: NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ Near the bottom af the page there is a...

220 code questions. Estimated cost to have a pro do it! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can you offer any tips/concerns regarding attaching 220 to a dryer and water heater that are being moved to a new location in the house. The circuit panel is 15 years old. A friend is doing this job and I can't quite ascertain his level of knowledge. I have limited funds and desperately want...

National Arbitration forum SOL Questions [ 1 Answers ]

I received a claim from National Arbitration forum on the behalf of Credigy Receivables inc. This debt was charged off on March 31 2002 by MBNA and sold to a few different companies till Credigy bought it. I live in Ma. And my SOL is 6 years. I want to know how I can prove when my last...

Using shower causes water to come from baseboard in livingroom [ 1 Answers ]

This house is a money pit for plumbing issues... We have well water. We have been unable to use the shower in the bathroom at the top of the stairs for well over 3 years now because when we do water comes out of the baseboard and down the wall into the livingroom downstairs. We use the bathtub and...

View more questions Search