Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Pres Geo Bush's OWNERSHIP Society
    From White House fact sheet August 2004::::

# Expanding Homeownership. The President believes that homeownership is the cornerstone of America's vibrant communities and benefits individual families by building stability and long-term financial security. In June 2002, President Bush issued America's Homeownership Challenge to the real estate and mortgage finance industries to encourage them to join the effort to close the gap that exists between the homeownership rates of minorities and non-minorities. The President also announced the goal of increasing the number of minority homeowners by at least 5.5 million families before the end of the decade. Under his leadership, the overall U.S. homeownership rate in the second quarter of 2004 was at an all time high of 69.2 percent. Minority homeownership set a new record of 51 percent in the second quarter, up 0.2 percentage point from the first quarter and up 2.1 percentage points from a year ago. President Bush's initiative to dismantle the barriers to homeownership includes:

* American Dream Downpayment Initiative, which provides down payment assistance to approximately 40,000 low-income families;
    * Affordable Housing. The President has proposed the Single-Family Affordable Housing Tax Credit, which would increase the supply of affordable homes;
    * Helping Families Help Themselves. The President has proposed increasing support for the Self-Help Homeownership Opportunities Program; and
    * Simplifying Homebuying and Increasing Education. The President and HUD want to empower homebuyers by simplifying the home buying process so consumers can better understand and benefit from cost savings. The President also wants to expand financial education efforts so that families can understand what they need to do to become homeowners.

Interesting n'est pas?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Both Clinton and Bush touted the increase in homeownership as a positive indicator of their administrations.

Richard Fernandez ,author of the Belmont Club blog has a nice summary of the crisis . He notes that :

... [It] illustrate how pursuing an apparent social good like “affordable housing” can really lead to a nightmare. What formerly prevented failed social engineering schemes from having a global impact was the disconnectedness of command economies. They were self-limited in the amount of havoc they could cause. But in a world linked by vast financial systems and information architctures the consequences of an ill-conceived plan can cascade progressively. The problem with relying on more regulation to solve the problem is that it puts the very same political class which generated the problem in charge of preventing it.
    http://pajamasmedia.com/richardfernandez/

Related link :
    http://www.charteredaccountants.com....nch_Report.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Al gore and pres. Bush [ 4 Answers ]

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses How do you account for this discrepancy?

Heat Pump High Pres on LP Side [ 2 Answers ]

I have some a/c exp, recent purchased older home that has 4 HP's. One OK, one has stuck compressor,5ton, but what's stuping me is the other 2Ton Carrier units? Both I vacumn to 25+ in", started charge, they go to over 200psi in suction side, rev valve OK, can someone explain? Problem, Thanks ...

Bush's Idealogues [ 98 Answers ]

What does President Bush believe?

Dubya Bush's felonies. [ 8 Answers ]

Dubya has ordered the wire tapping of millions of innocent Americans. This is against the law. To get a wire tapp, law enforcement of any kind must first show a judge their probable cause or reason for said wire tap. Bush, whom bears the ultimate responsibility, and everyone under him involved,...

F1 to H1 passing substantial pres. Test plus married [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for providing insightful information at the site. Though, I am not sure about my exact situation. Here it goes: I was on F1 until May 2005 in Massachusetts and then moved to California for work on H1B (thus passing the subs. Presence test). Besides, I got married in Dec 2005 in US to...

View more questions Search