Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Puppy Hates Kongs
    Okay, I have a slightly silly question. As many of you know, I have an English cocker spaniel puppy. He's now four and a half months old. When he came to live with us at 2 months, I picked up two Kongs, convinced that he would love them so much that I would always need to keep an extra one in the freezer. Unfortunately, they're the only toy he showed zero interest in. I tried stuffing them with cheese, biscuits, peanut butter, hamburger meat... even baked chicken and turkey bits that he would normally climb a mountain to get his paws on... but as soon as they're in the Kong, he sniffs it a bit and then it seems he decides that the reward just isn't worth the effort.

I realized that the Kongs I had were for grown dogs, so I immediately purchased a new puppy Kong and filled it to the brim with goodies. He doesn't touch that one either. We also have another treat dispenser in the shape of a ball, and if there are pieces in it that require work to get them, he leaves it alone completely. I wind up pushing these toys around to try to make them interesting, yet to no avail. I've tried waiting until I know he has an appetite, but that hasn't solved the problem either. If I didn't know my wonderful puppy as the bright, incredibly bouncy and energetic super-fast learner that I know him to be, I don't know what I would think. I know Kongs are recommended for all kinds of training situations, and many people claim they're the greatest dog toy on the planet. So why won't my pup play with his Kongs?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Is your dog normally crazy about food? My Trink likes her Kongs (it's how she's fed), but in general doesn't get excited about food. Put it in a bowl, and she will ignore it. Kongs and thrown on the floor is the only really sure way to get her to eat. So, you may have a dog that just doesn't like kongs, or just isn't that food-oriented. It's part of the fun of owning a dog... you get to learn their quirks.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 12:51 AM

Well, that's the thing. He's food crazy. He LOVES to eat. Eating and pigeon chasing are two of his favorite things in the world. You wouldn't believe the tricks he has already picked up to earn some roasted chicken bits. After I posted, I decided to try again. He was highly interested in the top part of the biscuit that was sticking out, but as soon as he finished that he seemed to say, "I'm not stupid. I'm not wasting my time to get at whatever's left inside. It's impossible, and I resent the tease."
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 23, 2008, 12:59 AM

Niki has no interest in Kongs either Linny. I went through a few things, and then I bought some marrow bones. She goes crazy over them. The first one I bought was from a pet store, and it was filled with a lamb flavoured jelly type substance.

After that, I started filling it with a moist 'hamburger like' treat that we can get here called Rollover. I stuff the little marrow bone with that, and now she sulks when I haven't gone out to buy her more... (excuse the expression, but it's what I call it, lol) Doggie Crack! She's addicted!

I think like Froggy said, it's a matter of hit and miss, and you'll eventually find something that she loves!
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 10:20 AM

Starbuck, I like the marrow bone idea. I must say that my pup has gone crazy for beef knees - as in a real, raw bone - but I was worried that a real bones might not be good for him. I've read that they're okay as long as they're not cooked, but who knows. I will keep an eye out for what you described. Let me tell you, however, that the choice of pet products seems to be much more abundant in North America than it is here. I'm flat out jealous! If I can't find it now, I'll check the pet store when I go home to NY. By the way, thanks for letting me know that I don't own the only dog on the planet that doesn't care about Kongs.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 23, 2008, 12:39 PM

Linny, have you tried pigs ears, or pigs feet? She might take a liking to those too. My sisters dogs go crazy for them, and it will occupy their time for hrs! Also, Niki loves smoked Ham Bones. They don't splinter like a regular bone does.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 03:36 PM

No, but I'll be sure to see if I can find some! Thanks for the recommendations!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 04:05 PM

My dogs also don't care for their kongs, and they are gluttons. ;)

Pigs ears are okay but they stink to high heaven, we make the dogs eat them outside, otherwise I feel nauseaous.

We do buy bones from the pet store, they're huge and the dogs love them, they'll spend days gnawing on them. They're messy but worth it to see that puppy grin from ear to ear. :)
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 27, 2008, 01:27 PM

I bought the kong for my Shepherd too because he and the other male I have will bite through ANYTHING and break it. So I loving spent the money on those Kongs... they all hate the Kongs.

Who knows why... I just know better now than to ever buy one again. I gave one of my kongs to one of my brothers. His dog seems to fine w/ it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My son hates me [ 5 Answers ]

My 27 year old son who I raised as a single parent is so mean to me , I'm convinced he hates me. He used to be a fun, kind, free spirited Child and young man. In the past 4 years he seems to be filled with hate and anger toward me all the time. Everything I say or do he berates and embarrasses me...

My dad hates me [ 24 Answers ]

My dad only pretends 2 like me he never talks to me and says I was an accident. I'm falling behind on homework because I find talking to him is 2 hard so I can never ask 4 help. He never agrees with anything I say and everything I do is stupid. He grounds me 4 not giving him the remote so he can...

I think she hates me [ 3 Answers ]

I was at my g/f's birthday party about a week ago. Her best friend and I are pretty good friends. At the party, I was a little tired because I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, plus it was a particularly boring party... Anyway, my g/f's friend thinks I am going to break up with...

My son says he hates me [ 23 Answers ]

Ok, my oldest son is 3 and lately when he doesn't get his way he says he hates me. He doesn't say it to his dad, uncle, aunt, grandma... just me. My husband and my brother put him in the corner when they hear him say it, but I don't do anything because honestly I don't know what to do. Should...

Using Kongs [ 2 Answers ]

Trinkett loves, Loves, LOVES her Kong! She will happily flop down with it and work it until she can get every last bit of food out of it. (Generally I fill it with her kibble and seal it with a little wet food. Sometimes I briefly dampen the kibble first, and then freeze it.) Is there any...

View more questions Search