Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Natural way to clean out an ear?
    Ear candle's... do they work and can anyone give me a very extensive step by step instruction on how to do it? I have had major problems with my ear and it seems every time a doctor touches it, I am on the couch for weeks at a time. I need to do it tonight, if anyone knows a better way, please post info here. Thanks in advance, Start
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 09:08 AM
    You can defini tely stay away from ear candling, startover. I worked for a woman who did aesthetics and that was one new addition to her repertroire. She made them herself after finding out how. I assisted her and never ever saw anything that resembled ear wax or anything. I saw a lot of fires started though !

The only safe way is having your ears blown by a doctor if blockages is what you mean.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Tickle, I have been told by lot's of people that they in fact have used this sort of method. It pulled a bunch of junk out of their ear and after a few days they felt better.
    I have had numerous mastoidectomies. Last two times I went to the doctor, they cleaned my ear and it left me on my couch for about 7-10 days each time. Something about pulling too much out at one time and the inner ear had to get back to it's normal shape. I was dizzy for days and I was left with this very insecure feeling, almost like I couldn't talk or walk around anyone... really scared and nervous feelings. I just really want to try this before I go to the doctor. My ear is not like any other, it has been messed with so many times, so many (4) surgeries, at first they went in through the back, cut along the back, then flipped my ear clear over to my cheek, went in and got the growth out, then my doctor had this "magnificent" idea that they will come back undoubtedly, and decided to make the hole in my ear bigger so they wouldn't have to go in through the back. Tickle, I am seriously fretting over this, I don't want to go through the whole on the couch thing again. I just can't...
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
    I've used ear candles several times. They definitely worked for me. However, don't try to do it alone or you will start a fire or hurt yourself :eek:

Have someone put the candle in your ear and light it on fire. Then you or they can hold it while it does its thing. When you are done, have that person put it out by emersing the whole thing in water.

You can buy these candles for a few dollars in drug stores.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
    I got the big ole 4 pack, I am going to try it. I went to the health food store and there were so many to choose from, I will try it despite Tickles wishes. Tickle, I will let you know how it all works!
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I did try it, I am not sure if I am just getting a little better or if they cleared me out a little. I tried them the night before last... I still have dizziness so I finally called the doctor. I am hoping to like her and keep her... never before have I met a gentle ear doctor.. :(
    Thanks guys;)
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Nothing but going to the doctor worked. There was too much to get out myself, and nothing worked. The candles though did make me feel as if I weren't as dizzy, maybe they just loosened it all up in there, not really sure. Tickle, I did use the store bought ones, and had another person do them for me. I promise we didn't catch on fire. I asked my nurse if I could use them before I started, she said fine, but don't expect a miracle. I was looking for a miracle, but it didn't happen. I still feel really dizzy... but I think it is just because the doctor took out so much and she said I will feel better with time. So, keep on taking the dramamine and lots of rest I suppose. Thanks guys for your opinions;)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 04:39 PM
    So the doctor actually blew out your ears, right ? From your first post I had assumed that you had tried everything. I am glad you are somewhat cured and I hope entirely cured soon :)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Feel better, Start!
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 04:51 PM
    She actually just pulled a big ole thingy out of it. Since the mastoidectomy, (spelling) they left a big hole in my ear, so she was able to pull it all out at once, in one big clump. I know it sounds gross, but that is what she did. I feel dizzy still... but it should subside. Thank you guys for the answers and nice thoughts;)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 09:32 PM

Patients with cholesteatoma, an abnormal skin growth that grows and destroys bone and structures of the inner ear and surrounding area, who have infection, pain, hearing loss, dizziness, facial weakness or paralysis, meningitis, or brain abscess with
    This is just a good sense of what has happened to me. Three times, once in Junior High, once in high school and once after the birth of my daughter 11 years ago. This is a simple way to explain it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean an a/c by yourself [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to clean my air conditioner myself it smells awful. What would I use to do so. I could spray it with the hose outside would that be enough using just water, or do I need anything else to kill the smell.

Dry clean only? [ 3 Answers ]

So my daughter (we are trying to potty train her) had a messy accident on a dry clean (with the feathers in it) blanket the nearest dry cleaning is 20 minuets and I don't have a car and its to late. What can I do to clean this blanket?? I'm scared to put it in the washer and I'm scared to hang dry...

Should she clean it up? [ 3 Answers ]

This might be a little long, but I will try to make it as short as possible. I live in a townhome that I rent. Our landlord pays the HOA dues. Our next door neighbor loves and feeds the birds daily. I don't have a problem with this but she is making a huge mess with all the bird seed that is...

View more questions Search