Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stopmefalling Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Low blood pressure for a teenage girl?
    91/64 seems to come in as under borderline low blood pressure, for someone with a history of lowblood pressure in her family be concerned?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
    How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? These all factor into your blood pressure.

Sep 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
    15. 5"3, and about 7st 9-13.
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
    So, that's about 100 pounds. Your BP is a little low, but nothing to worry about. The systolic (91) is low, but the diastolic (64) is about in the right range.

What has your doc said about this?

Sep 17, 2008, 04:11 PM
    He said it should be nothing to worry about, but He's just put me on propanolol for my migraines, will that affect it?
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Oh, yes, that will affect it!! It will cause your blood pressure to go even lower, which is as dangerous as high blood pressure.

I will try to explain this in terms you understand, not medical terms, okay?

Propranolol is called a beta blocker, it is used for people that have high blood pressure to help lower the blood pressure. It should never be given to someone with low blood pressure, as your pressure will do what is called "bottom out" and you may have black outs, headaches, fainting, and other serious side effects.

I think it may be time for your parents to take you for a second opinion about your headaches. There are better medications out there for you.

Sep 17, 2008, 04:19 PM
    He said to try it for two weeks, but he did offer something else beginning with an A, to take once at night, but a side effect was drowsiness, which seeing as the migraines make me sleep anyway didn't seem such a good idea. Thank you for your advice =]
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
    How long have you been taking it? Are you taking your blood pressure daily while you are on this? Have you noticed any dizziness?

Sep 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Only just been put on it, first dose was this evening, 10mg 3times daily. I'm not taking my blood pressure daily, no, and I haven't noticed any dizziness.
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
    While on this medication you should be taking your blood pressure in the morning and at night.

Again, I am not a doctor, but a registered nurse, and I would question any doctor I worked for if he/she prescribed this medication for someone with low blood pressure and suggest he prescribe something other than a medication that is meant to treat high blood pressure.

I really think you need a second opinion.

Sep 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
    I know it is a new doctor at the clinic, but the reason he prescribed beta blockers is to stop the blood vessels dilating/constricting [can't remember which way round] which is apparently causing the migraines, he said it'll reverse it basically. But seeing as its 12.30 am here, I'm off to sleep, or I won't get up in the morning. But thank you for your advice I will take this into account and if I do feel dizzy or faint will contact my doctors immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage Girl, disrespectful with bad attitude [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 14, almost 15 years old. I have been having problems with her for about 3-4 years now. I divorced her father just prior to this new development and have since re-married to a man who is total the opposite of her father. Her father was always soft when it came to his kids, he...

Rebellious Teenage Girl Hates Her Younger Sister [ 4 Answers ]

My 13 year old teen will pick a fight with her 8 year old little sister. The little sister gets really mad and starts screaming and then she'll slap, bite, or hit her big sister with the phone or a wooden spoon. I'm starting to believe that the older sister deliberately provokes her little sister...

17 yr old teenage girl insolent and ungrateful, nasty [ 6 Answers ]

In the scope of things, my teenager is not a bad kid. She is a great student and is not in trouble with the law or staying out doing things she shouldn't. But she has become almost unbearable to live with here lately and we are at the end of her rope. She doesn't respect me or her brother (15...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

80s teenage girl movie, uses spell to become popular [ 1 Answers ]

Most likely seen on the disney channel, redhead teenage girl with fourtune teller old friend that helps her with a potion and spell to make her become popular like her idol, an 80s synth pop girl singer And I also remember something about her putting scarves on lamp shades before her crush comes...

View more questions Search