Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crybaby9112001 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Sep 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
    My Mom has Cirrhosis in the liver. Not sure what to do.
    So I found out about a week ago that my mom has Cirrhosis in the Liver. I flew to LA to see her and she looked bad. The Doctor said she is in Critical Condition and there just waiting to see how she responds to the medicine. She has been there for 2 weeks now and she hasn't been improving at all. Her stomach is swollen as if she was 6 months pregnant, she didn't recognize me at first, she won't eat anything, and the doctor had to put restraints on her yesterday. And today she was coughing up blood. The Doctor said that he can't say she is going to die but that he can't say she is going to get better.
    I don't know what to do at this point. I stayed with her for 2 days and then flew back home in Seattle. My older sisters live in Texas and San Jose and my brother lives in the Navy in Illinois. Its hard for us to stay with her being that we all have kids. The doctor called yesturday saying we should all come together and figure out what are plans are when her liver fails.. they gave us a bunch of things to things to think about like life support.
    I don't know what to do. Is the doctor saying she is going to die. And is life support any good anyway? They said her liver is at the point where its irriversabal. Im not ready to lose her, and at the same time I'm tired of worrying about her dying. Im the youngest out of us 4 and I'm only 20. I never had my mom cause she was always drinking... and I just always figured id take care of her when she was older and that would be my time with her. What am I to do now. Is this Cirrhosis really going to take her soon? And what is soon? She is only 41.
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 11, 2008, 02:18 AM
    I am sorry for your pain and what I am about to say. If the Doctor says it is irreversable it is terminal. The only way to my knowledge to save her is a liver transplant. If the problem is a result of a history of drinking and if she is still a drinker the odds are she will not get a new liver. The question about life support is usually because someone is waiting for a liver. Ask the Doctor if a transplant is possible. If the answer is no the Doctor is trying to gently tell you that all of you need to be together for you to say goodbye and it will probably be soon because he is asking you now.

The decision of life support will add time to her life. There will also be pain and suffering for her unless she is heavily medicated. As a family you must decide together to let her go or add a little more time. The liver does not self repair. We only have one liver none of you can donate it to her.

What can you do, remember what you missed with your mother while you were growing up and give that time to your children. Be the mother you wish you had as a child. Allow yourself to mourn what never was and what never will be, you have a right to grieve. Talk to your mother, believe me they do hear and share with each other your joys together.

I wish I could give you a hug. Frankie
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

Understanding what the physician said, I would think this. She is likely not eligible for a liver transplant because of her fierce history of drinking. Therefore, she is terminal because of liver failure, and each of you kids are going to want to go there and be with her and say good-bye and take care of paperwork, if there is any to be completed.

You are going to have to go through a lot of pain and misery when your mother dies... be sure to get all your feelings out and rely on others to help you through.

Very sad situation for all concerned.
    Crybaby9112001 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Sep 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Ive thought a lot about my mom dying and I'm not ready for it. If she dies I'm not going to cry cause she is not suppose to die now... I don't want to greive for her. I don't want to cry for her. Ill be the strong one.
    pumpkinpete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 07:07 PM
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. My mom also had cirrhosis and it was a long and very difficult road. Her only option was a transplant. Luckily for my mother, she was eventually able to get one last year. Your mom shouldn't be ruled out as a candidate simply for her past drinking as long as she stops. If she were to get listed they would regularly check her blood for signs of alcohol and would also likely make counseling mandatory.

My mom was extremely sick and had many of the symptoms you mentioned. If you have any questions while you're going through this and want to talk, let me know. I've been through it and know how difficult it is. We have lots in common as were also living out of state and had to move across the country to be closer to her which was also extremely difficult.

I wish you the best of luck.
    nicegirl50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Hi, I don't known if this is to late. But my mom Has the same thing wrong with her. The stomach is swell up, does her legs swell up too? Does her legs get big giant water bluster on them. The problem is she is retaining water. Her liver is not fluttering so the water has to go some where. My mom just last week got 4 gallons of water out of her and the stomach went down. Maybe is will help you understand what is going on.
    Nicegirl50
    sujeet_rahi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
    My Mom age 64 years has Cirrhosis in the liver. I have gone through here in india one of the best hospital (institute of Liver & Biliary Science) , where Doctor suggested treatment by injecting interferon injection in close monitoring.

Now my question is by having genotype 3 liver cirrhosis with viral load 1870000 can be treated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LUPUS/spleen problems/liver cirrhosis [ 7 Answers ]

My mom has lupus and she has lived with painful joints and restless sleep for as long as I can remember. My sister died from lupus. Mom has had problems with her spleen for awhile. The doctors say it is much bigger then it should be and they keep doing tests but no answers. She finally ended up...

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver?

Protein "S" deficieny vs cirrhosis [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is Wanda, I need information on Protein S Deficiency and Cirrhosis of the Liver.Is there any connection of the two? My father died of cirrhosis(never drank alcohol).So now his brother (never drank alcohol) Is also dying of the same disease. My interest in the two being...

View more questions Search