Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sddelong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Rusty Drill Bit left under faulty implant for 2 years.
    8/15/05, I had an implant done on L/L. It was placed on an angle, impinged mental nerve, caused excruciating pain, bacterial infections, damage to nerves, and other health problems. 1/07, implant had to be removed, but Oral Surgeon didn't remove a Drill bit saw that you could actually see in x-rays. Excruciating pain, headaches, and infections continued. April, 07, abbcess had to be drained. On June 2007, (2 surgeries later) drill bit saw pieces were removed. Drill Bit pieces were rusted.
    Since Drill Bits are made of carbon steel and other alloys, could Lead be present in my body from all the rust left in my body for 2-years?
    Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Hello s:

I don't know anything about dentistry, but you should be asking LEGAL questions about this disaster instead of dentist stuff.

Until you do, I'll answer your legal query. Yes, you should sue. Yes, you should find a malpractice attorney who will take your case on a contingency basis. That means you won't have to pay a nickel unless you win. We actually have one of those attorney's here, named sideoutshoe. You could look him up in the members section and ask him some stuff.

Ok, now back to the dentist stuff...

excon
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
    You should not find lead in a drill bit. Rust was the problem. A reaction between iron (steel) and oxygen.

You'd be looking at a high speed steel. eFunda: Listing of AISI Type M Tool Steels

Carbide steel is probably to brittle to use in dentistry.
    PenPress Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Sorry that you had to go through this.

This is definitely a case where you should take legal actions.

There are reasons to believe that you have sustained nerve damage on top of the pain, infection and mental agony.

I doubt though that you would have lead poisoning due to that.

If needed, get bloodwork done to see what the lead level in your blood currently is. That will determine whether that had been the case.

Your lawyer can then find out what brand of dental bur was used, get in touch with the company that produced that bur to determine the composition.

Getting the bloodwork done is very important before the lead get excreted out of the system (if there is any to begin with, which I doubt).

Hope this helps:) Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being cheated on and left for someone else after 3 years [ 9 Answers ]

I would like to apologize for writing so much but I wouldn’t know what to keep out. One month ago I split up with my girlfriend, with which we had been together for 3 years. The last 2.5 months have probably been the worst in my life so far. Over the last month before breaking up for the first...

Drill Command "Column right (left), MARCH" [ 3 Answers ]

I know most of the drill commands but I am having a little trouble with the "Column right (left), MARCH" command. Can someone help me with how to perform this command? If you can find a video that would be great, video help would be the best.

She left me for someone 5 years younger, I have OCD, ughh [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I posted a few weeks back about my break up having to do with the fact that I recently discovered that I have OCD. It caused me to constantly break every little thing down with my girlfriend, and question her beyond belied and never able to let small things go, pretty much I was insecure...

What kind of drill do I need to use to drill holes for 1 1/2" pvc plumbing. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm running 1 1/2" pvc for a basement bathroom vanity and a wet bar. Do I need to get a Forstner bit or is just a regular hole saw best for drilling my 2x6 wall studs? Also, is 2" the correct size, or should I go to 2 1/8" or 2 1/4".

How do I get off probation 16 months left of 5 years [ 4 Answers ]

I have been on probation for 3 and a half years they want to put me on the mailing list but I want to totally get off... what do I do

View more questions Search