Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Sep 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Outlook Express vs Gmail
    I apologize in advance for this fairly long post, but feel the background is necessary to explain my dilemma.

I've been happily using Outlook Express for years. What I am unhappy with is my ISP, Roadrunner (Time Warner).

Roadrunner only allows 10MB of email memory on their server, so one large attachment, or a few hours of not downloading email to Outlook Express, and I hit their "high water mark". Makes it nearly impossible to travel.

What has pushed me over the edge is their total lack of spam filtering. I get about 50-100 spams per day, and that's growing. I've not had much luck with 3rd party programs. But that's another topic.

I recently heard about the great spam filtering that Gmail offers, as well as more than 7GB of free email memory on their servers, so I thought I'd try it.

Their user interface is quite different that Outlook Express, but I figured I can get used to it. I thought that if I just used their web based email, it would really simplify my life. Travel is no longer a problem. No need to back up address books or anything else. And the same user interface everywhere I go.

So I've been using Gmail in lieu of Outlook Express for 4 days now, trying to get used to it. A few minor drawbacks. No read receipt available. No Priority send. Can't add folders. And worst of all for me, no way to reduce the size of photo images for emailing (that I am aware of). This is built in to O.E. and I use it all the time to email photos. It's automatic and very easy. Plus, Gmail's layout is a bit weird. Buttons are not grouped. They are spread around the display. I find that I must keep searching for buttons. Some are hidden in drop-down menus.

I forwarded my Roadrunner email to Gmail, and it's unbelievable. Virtually no spam!

So I've decided to switch my email from Roadrunner to Gmail based on the spam and memory capacity issues. That's a done deal. I read some reviews online that say Gmail has the best spam filtering, the most free memory, and is the fastest of the major players.

But I just can't decide whether to try and stick with the web based Gmail interface, or use Outlook Express as my mail client at home (thru Gmail - POP?? ), and just use Gmail web for travel. I realize this is a personal choice, but I was hoping someone with more experience could share their opinion on this.

I really like the consistency of using the Gmail web interface and not worrying about backups, but O.E. seems so much easier to use, and does a few things that Gmail can't.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Just configure gmail to work with OE. You have to enable the option and get the name of the incoming and outgoing servers from google's help pages.

You can also use Roadrunner for outgoing mail and gmail for incoming mail. Nothing wrong with that option either.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 01:50 AM
    You can download the emails from Gmail by using POP3 Setting. Check on the Gmail Setting , Gmail have POP3 setting and turn on it .

You configure the gmail account in your OE with gmail username , password and pop3 and smtp.

Regards,
    ABB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 6 Answers ]

How do I retrieve files once Outlook express has Auto compacted them. I want to get information from the files that went off my screen. Is there a path to locate these files.? Aljay

Outlook express [ 1 Answers ]

I get the following error message. The Host POP3 cannot be found, how do I fix the error.

Receiving email from gmail in outlook [ 1 Answers ]

I have configured gmail for imap and have set up my gmail as an account in outlook. I am able to send email from outlook and it appears in my gmail account. However email received on my gmail account is not appearing in outlook when I press send/receive. I am not getting any error messages. What...

Mcrosoft outlook and outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am not able to understand the concept of MS outlook and outlook express.I want to know the difference.And how to use outlook as I am a beginner.

Outlook Express to Outlook conversion gave messages wrong "Date Received." [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, All! I used Outlook's Import capbility to import everything from Outlook Express: mail settings, folders, their messages, etc. The import process reported successful import of my huge sets of folders, subfolders and their 11,000+ messages... however: The Good: Some messages were...

View more questions Search