Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachZ
    You are still providing Answer B: No sacrifice. Without the death of God, what true sacrifice was there? The entirety of the Christian idea of 'grace' is that God died for your sins. The narrative you provided shows that God did NOT die, for any purpose. All that can be said is that God created a human being (at no expense to Himself) and sent this human being to die in an un-kosher manner for a purpose prohibited by Torah. Such a 'sacrifice' is invalid and meaningless.
    No the entire idea of Christianity is that Christ (second person) died for our sins. Why do you want to keep killing God (first person)?

Begotten not made. When Christ was conceived his soul was infused with the 2nd person of the Trinity. Chrsit was not created.

I'll still stand with my response.

JoeT
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
    According to the origianal post, you seem to be trying to disprove trinitarian doctrine, in favor of what? I'm sure you know this, but will post it anyway, as it seems to have relevance to the question.

430 'elohiym (el-o-heem');(Found in Genesis many times.)

plural of 433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:

KJV-- angels, X exceeding, God (gods)- dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Aug 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    According to the origianal post, you seem to be trying to disprove trinitarian doctrine, in favor of what?
    In favor of the truth of the ONE God of Israel--ONE as enumerated in Torah.

Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    I'm sure you know this, but will post it anyway, as it seems to have relevance to the question.

430 'elohiym (el-o-heem');(Found in Genesis many times.) ...

plural of 433
    You are quoting Strong's concordance numbers, which is a concordance of the Hebrew to the 1611 Christian King James translation. These numbers prove nothing other than what the 1611 Christian King James translators were thinking. They are of no use when studying Torah itself.

However this is actually a side-track from my original question, which highlights the internal contradiction of Christian explanation of the resurrection. If you'd like to discuss 'Elohim' and how we know its use to be purely and exclusively SINGULAR when referring to God, please open up a thread about that in the Jewish forum.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Aug 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
    The narrative you provided shows that God did NOT die, for any purpose. All that can be said is that God created a human being (at no expense to Himself) and sent this human being to die in an un-kosher manner for a purpose prohibited by Torah. Such a 'sacrifice' is invalid and meaningless.

Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Psa 22:1 [To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.] My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [why art thou so] far from helping me, [and from] the words of my roaring?

Do not these two verses look similar? Could jesus, a human, have been quoting the old testament psalm, written by david, hundreds of years before? Isn't the rest of the psalm similar to the circumstances around jesus' crucifixion? Why is that? Perhaps david prophesied jesus' crucifixion, without even knowing he had done so. Perhaps jesus knew this was about himself, and repeated it for remembrance. Perhaps jesus WAS sent by god, and was a sacrifice for mans' sin. Perhaps we should accept the old testament as an account of the coming savior god planned.
    Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Italics mine.

Aug 14, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs
    Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Psa 22:1 [To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.] My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [why art thou so] far from helping me, [and from] the words of my roaring?

do not these two verses look similar? could jesus, a human, have been quoting the old testament psalm, written by david, hundreds of years before?
    Yes, if Jesus were a Jew, he surely would have been instructed by his teachers in the Psalms and so he would have known that psalm and could have quoted it. Just as YOU have been taught verses of your sacred texts and can quote them here. I see nothing remarkable about this.

isn't the rest of the psalm similar to the circumstances around jesus' crucifixion?
    This is going off into another irrelevant tangent. We can argue about the subject of Psalm 22 in a different thread, including "like a lion" and the similarities (or lack thereof) to crucifixion. But I don't see how this psalm addresses in any way the inherent internal contradiction surrounding the Christian explanation of the resurrection.

Ironically enough, perhaps -- the quote Matthew echoes from the Psalm emphasizes the SEPARATION of the character Jesus from God. How can God forsake Himself? This is more evidence from the Greek writings themselves that Jesus cannot be God.

Look forward to you addressing my original question.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
    A bit of topic but in reply to your conclusion above

Tenakh/Hebrew Scriptures

Old Testament prophecies of Jesus Christ

Aug 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Yes, if Jesus were a Jew, he surely would have been instructed by his teachers in the Psalms and so he would have known that psalm and could have quoted it. Just as YOU have been taught verses of your sacred texts and can quote them here. I see nothing remarkable about this.
    This is going off into another irrelevant tangent. We can argue about the subject of Psalm 22 in a different thread, including "like a lion" and the similarities (or lack thereof) to crucifixion. But I don't see how this psalm addresses in any way the inherent internal contradiction surrounding the Christian explanation of the resurrection.
    Ironically enough, perhaps -- the quote Matthew echoes from the Psalm emphasizes the SEPARATION of the character Jesus from God. How can God forsake Himself? This is more evidence from the Greek writings themselves that Jesus cannot be God.
    Look forward to you addressing my original question.
    Jhn 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he sent, him ye believe not.
    Jhn 5:39 Ye search the scriptures, because ye think that in them ye have eternal life; and these are they which bear witness of me;
    Jhn 5:40 and ye will not come to me, that ye may have life.

Jesus here, was speaking to the jews who did not accept him as messiah. As far as your op, I am answering to the intent behind it, which I believe I know. You are being like the jews here, that's why I posted the previous scripture, as well as this. If you won't accept jesus' mission that god sent him for, then you do not want to know why we think jesus is god. You only want to disprove that he was sent as the messiah, by couching it in doubt of his divinity. I'm not mad at you. Just trying to convert you.

Aug 14, 2008, 07:29 PM
    ... by couching it in doubt of his divinity. i'm not mad at ya. just trying to convert you.
    Not taking it as anger at all, don't worry. I can't accept any kind of philosophy that has the obvious internal contradiction I pointed out in the OP. If your intent is to 'convert' you'd have to be able to address it. Can you? If you can't address it, how can you believe in such a lie?

Aug 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Not taking it as anger at all, don't worry. I can't accept any kind of philosophy that has the obvious internal contradiction I pointed out in the OP. If your intent is to 'convert' you'd have to be able to address it. Can you? If you can't address it, how can you believe in such a lie?
    do you not doubt that in the old testament, jesus' atonement for mans' sin is prophesied?

Aug 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Let me take a more proactive approach: the old testament predicts a messiah. That is the reason in the new, the jews had so much trouble believing jesus was that predicted messiah. They reasoned that no messiah could come out of galilee. On these technicalities of scripture, they erred, even when they saw jesus doing miracles, which required power from somewhere. They decided that he was from the devil, because they couldn't accept the alternative. This was ironic, because the one purpose of all of their religious life, was in front of them. It's like not seeing the forest for the trees. So they cut off their nose to spite their face, so to speak. They carried out the very prophesy they thought they knew so well, through scripture study. How did this happen? The same way that it's happening between you and I. you're really missing the point of scripture if you deny jesus is the messiah predicted in the scripture you study.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Aug 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Jesus was both fully God and fully man. He was the Father sent to the Earth to take our place. He who was sinless took our sins upon Himself and took the separation from the Father at death to give us the way to the Father. If you are looking to tear apart the Word you will never be able to find the Truth. If you seek Him with all your heart, He will be found.

John 8:18-20 (New King James Version)
    18 I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me.”
    19 Then they said to Him, “Where is Your Father?”
    Jesus answered, “You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also.”

Matthew 11:27
    All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

John 10:30
    I and My Father are one.”

John 17:20-22 (New King James Version)
    Jesus Prays for All Believers
    20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will[a] believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:

1 Corinthians 8:6
    Yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

Ephesians 2:18
    For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

Aug 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
    do you not doubt that in the old testament, jesus' atonement for mans' sin is prophesied?
    I'll answer this if you can show how it addresses my original question... otherwise this is off-topic, although I'd be happy to take it up in another thread.

Aug 14, 2008, 08:00 PM
    let me take a more proactive approach:
    I can absolutely address every point you brought up, but again -- off topic from the original question. Can you answer the OP?
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Start a new post I would look forward to seeing it.

Aug 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    Jesus was both fully God and fully man. He was the Father sent to the Earth to take our place. He who was sinless took our sins upon Himself and took the separation from the Father at death to give us the way to the Father.
    You are being unclear! You use the word 'He' a lot without clarifying who you're talking about. How can I understand your explanation? And you don't address the resurrection at all, which was the central subject of my original question. Can you not answer the question?

None of the quotes you provided from the Greek scriptures seem to address the resurrection at all either.

Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    If you are looking to tear apart the Word you will never be able to find the Truth. If you seek Him with all your heart, He will be found.
    You say that intense bible study is NOT the way to understand Torah? I disagree.

Why must "seeking Him with all my heart" EXCLUDE careful reading of the Torah?

Why is the only Christian answer ever "Don't try to understand it"! Can't ANYONE address my question? :(

Aug 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
    so what's the point of your religion? Why even follow the bible if you cannot prove god exists, that you actually are forgiven of sin by animal sacrifice, that the miracles happened, that the bible was even written by men inspired of god? How much more than the whole point of scripture being jesus himself?
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 08:22 PM

You say that intense bible study is NOT the way to understand Torah? I disagree.

Why must "seeking Him with all my heart" EXCLUDE careful reading of the Torah?

:(
    I don't get that out of this,

Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    Jesus was both fully God and fully man. He was the Father sent to the Earth to take our place. He who was sinless took our sins upon Himself and took the separation from the Father at death to give us the way to the Father.

In fact I get that she IS saying to do an intense bible study
    By tearing it apart means to do a really through Bible study.

Aug 14, 2008, 08:22 PM
    so what's the point of your religion? why even follow the bible if you cannot prove god exists, that you actually are forgiven of sin by animal sacrifice, that the miracles happened, that the bible was even written by men inspired of god?
    This is not a problem that Christians can attack Jews on, because both Jews and Christians agree that the Tanakh is the word of God. You cannot be a Christian without taking the Tanakh as true first, just as Jews do. The problem comes when Christians try to "deform" the meaning of the Tanakh and introduce internally contradictory concepts like trinity and the resurrection and claim the Tanakh supports them. When Christians get called on it, the answer seems to be either to deny the trinity (as several have here), or claim "unfathomable mystery" (as the others have). Occam's razor: There is no point to introduce a novel "unfathomable mystery" that is unsupported by Tanakh when a much simpler explanation suffices: God is ONE, and no man is God (plain meanings, straight out of Torah).

cogs, seriously ask yourself: Why must you adhere to a faith that requires you to believe in the inherently illogical?

Aug 14, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    in fact I get that she IS saying to do an intense bible study
    by tearing it apart means to do a really through Bible study.
    She actually said the opposite. She said "If you are looking to tear apart the Word you will never be able to find the Truth." (emphasis mine).

Aug 14, 2008, 08:54 PM
    This is not a problem that Christians can attack Jews on, because both Jews and Christians agree that the Tanakh is the word of God. You cannot be a Christian without taking the Tanakh as true first, just as Jews do. The problem comes when Christians try to "deform" the meaning of the Tanakh and introduce internally contradictory concepts like trinity and the resurrection and claim the Tanakh supports them. When Christians get called on it, the answer seems to be either to deny the trinity (as several have here), or claim "unfathomable mystery" (as the others have). Occam's razor: There is no point to introduce a novel "unfathomable mystery" that is unsupported by Tanakh when a much simpler explanation suffices: God is ONE, and no man is God (plain meanings, straight out of Torah).

cogs, seriously ask yourself: Why must you adhere to a faith that requires you to believe in the inherently illogical?
    Yes, we agree that the tanakh is the word of god, and it's written first anyway, so it should support the latter, as a foundation. Yes, no man is god. Also, thank you for your question, and I'll answer it: I think that the old testament supports a coming messiah, because there has to be a purpose to sacrifices, and we have to begin to live according to god. As far as miracles, both testaments have them. It just shows how powerful god is. I cannot understand how to live your faith, without an end to sacrifices for sin. And to accept the new testament, with books like revelation and john, that are supported by old testament books like daniel and isaiah, seems good to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ex doesn't want to provide... [ 2 Answers ]

My "ex" has been "starting a business" for about 4 years now. As you can imagine- he has not been consistent paying child support during this time. I'm wondering how to prove his income when I finally take him to court ( I have every reason to believe he is making some sort of money, he travels a...

Return a NEW car if body work is not satisfactory [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new car. The car was covered in pollen when I bought it and I asked if they could at least rinse it off before we leave. They said they would detail it for us so should bring it back in a few days. The next day it rained and rinsed off the pollen. We noticed a couple of...

Can anyone Provide an example of [ 3 Answers ]

An activity the Department of Homeland Security has engaged in that you believe supports it mission and one you do not.:confused:

DNS Query Query. A Query about DNS Queries... [ 12 Answers ]

I am a software developer, I don’t know much about networks. I have a working network but with one weird (well to me it’s weird) problem. If you can offer any insight I’ll be very grateful! <!--- Image Attachment Below (I couldn't find a way to paste it here in the editor :-( ) ---> ...

View more questions Search