Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitefeather05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Am I legally divored?
    I have been separated for 15 years and can't find the husband. I want it to be done and if I am id like to know where to look it up for free
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Sounds like you are married. You can look in the county clerk's office where you last lived together, and in the county where you (or he) relocated when you separated. I suppose you could contact the Vital Records office in your state, but I'm not certain whether divorces are indexed that way. Otherwise, you can start from scratch where you are now living.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Aug 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
    If paperwork was never filed towards getting a divorce and you never took the extra steps to follow through, then I would say you are still legally married. Just because you too have not been together in 15 years does not mean "poof" you're divorced. The only thing you can do now is find a lawyer to tell you the steps you need to take to get divorced on your own. There are ways to do it if your spouse cannot be found.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is that even legally possible? [ 2 Answers ]

My sisters ex fiancé (the father of her 8 year-old son whom he has custody of) is verbally threathening to take her 10 year-old daughter who is not his biological child. They lived together for a few years before breaking-up and have been apart for several years now. My sister is going through a...

Legally getting out of a lease [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is in a psyciatric hospital. He can't work. Can he legally get out of the lease

Legally married? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom was married in jamaica... she is going through a rough marriage and I was wondering if there was any possibility she is not legally married?? She had her drivers license swiped in a restaurant the other day and it came up her maiden name even though her married name is on her drivers...

What to do about a slumlord legally? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been living at my apartment for 3 years and from the day I moved in I had a roach problem. He is trying to blame me for a whole building infestation which is not true at all. What can I do about it legally? Do I continue to pay rent for his roaches too? I contacted the Illinois Attorney...

What can we do legally? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and have been married for 3 years. My mom, who was always a control freak, literally went psycho when I got married. She took my family (dad, brothers, and sister) through hell making up stories of me being abused and manipulated and dragging my helpless younger siblings through...

View more questions Search