Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkennedy99 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Reciprocating saw blade loose
    I recently purchased a refurbished reciprocating saw, Porter-Cable tiger saw. The blade connection is a "quick-change" type where you turn the connector clockwise, insert the blade, and then release. Anyway, once I have the blade in the saw, it does not seem tight. Can can move it approx 1/8 inch or so up and down (I can't move it side-to-side). Is this normal for a recip saw? I have never owned one before, and don't want to use it if something's off.

Thanks,
    Joe
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Those quick change chucks can get clogged or sluggish over time. When you twist it to insert the blade does it untwist when you let go? You may need to give the untwist a slight assist. My Hitachi needs a little help like this.

Aug 4, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the quick change chuck does flip back into place once I let go, and the blade is secure (if I try to pull it straight out, it does not move). I'm just not sure if the slight up and down movement is normal, or if it will cause problem when I acutally need to cut something (BTW the blade is 8 inches I think)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
    That doesn't sound quite normal. Are you 100% sure that the blade is rated for or matched to that saw? Different brands sometimes have different tongues.

Aug 6, 2008, 07:55 AM
    I looked at it this morning. The blades are the same porter-cable brand. I'm not sure if they are "rated" for that saw. Both blades that came with it have the slight up and down movement after they are locked in place. I think I'll contact the seller at this point, to see if I can return it. I guess trying to save some bucks on a refurbished saw was not the way to go.
    jimmy1483 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Refurbished saws are a good investment if they are completely refurbished. The problem you have as with a lot of the first run quick releases are that they are a mechanical holder rather than a set screw type and as with anything mechanical a little bit of dirt, steel or wood dust can play havok on its correct operation. Take the blade out, Get a good light, magnifying glass and look down the end and see if you see bare metal or a build up of any kind of dirt... if dirt is in there then take a small pick or unbend a large paperclip and clean out the opening completely. Oil the mechanical part of the locking mechanism and retry inserting the blade. All sawzall type blades are the same as long as you buy a decent blade. Not the cheapos from the dollar tool stores. ( even then they should work, they just don't make very many cuts )

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy99
    I looked at it this morning. The blades are the same porter-cable brand. I'm not sure if they are "rated" for that saw. Both blades that came with it have the slight up and down movement after they are locked in place. I think I'll contact the seller at this point, to see if I can return it. I guess trying to save some bucks on a refurbished saw was not the way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

410 vs 22, reciprocating vs scroll [ 2 Answers ]

I live in South Florida and need to replace a Carrier heat pump. Don't know why I bought a heat pump 15 trs ago seeing as we run heat maybe 3 days a year. Anyway I will go with a straight cool w/ 10 KW heat strip now. I have a gable mounted package unit. I will probably go with local contractor who...

Reciprocating pumps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi What is the difference between piston and plunger in reciprocating pumps... Thanks

Murray 14 hp 42" cut Blade Drive Belt Loose [ 3 Answers ]

What are ways of tightening the blade drive belt on a Murray Model 42813A Riding lawn mower with a 42" wide cut? Just installed new one & blades will turn while mower is stationary, but will stop while trying to run over any grass?

View more questions Search