Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CopeWithLife Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Hard To Read
    When I read I start getting headaches and become frustrated. My Mind goes Completely Blank. Then I get angry with myself. I know there Must Be Some Easier way to Deal With This Frustration.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

May 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Hi,

Have you seen a doctor? Perhaps an optometrist? Maybe you need glasses for reading. Or, do you have a learning disability? I am not saying you do, but some people with reading comprehension problems tend to get headaches when they try too hard or get frustrated.

Until you see a doctor, perhaps stepping away from what you are reading for a few minutes and slowly breathing in and out deeply can relax you. Try to think of something else and that it is not your fault. Take a short walk; count to ten.

Some people visualize their success at what they're doing; for instance, after your break, sit down with what you were reading and visualize you reading the whole thing. Visualize how happy you are when you finish and visualize some people close to you praising you on a job well done. Tell yourself you will not get frustrated, you will not blame yourself.

Hope this helps
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
    This could really benefit by a little "thinking outside the box" investigation... such as can your read well enough here? Can you read cereal boxes? Does this same effect happen the same way always or does it vary in degrees or in any way really? Can you sort out it being a physical thing (would be the same all the time, I would suspect) from a mental thing (which might vary considerably). I know that once I get a "thing" on something it can be hard to work past it, so I wonder if you have done the same... where your negative anticipation is driving it more than anything else? I would advise more investigation on your part. Good luck!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 13, 2006, 05:03 PM
    These are both good points. I would like to add to one of the "thinking outside of the box" points. Try buying a colored sheet of plastic, they have them at the bookstores, red is usually best, and placing it over the page you are reading. Many people with vision or "reading" disabilities find this soothing to the eyes and, surprise, no more headaches and easier to concentrate.

We have several people who use this technique at the college I go to.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Hi,
    You have some good answers.
    I would just like to add that this is one of the symptoms of needing glasses.
    Do you wear reading glasses or any other kind?
    I started wearing reading glasses, only when I wanted to read, many years ago.
    Please see a Doctor or an eye doctor, for a checkup. I do wish you the best, and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help - Please Read. [ 7 Answers ]

All right, here's the situation - my ex-girlfriend calls me a few weeks ago, and tells me that she's pregnant. Of course, this is not a situation I'm immediately comfortable with, but it's not because I'm not one to run from a responsibility. See, I'm not going to be here, I'm actually going OUT...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

*** Please Read This Before Posting *** [ 0 Answers ]

We're glad you found us - and we're sure you'll find the members here quite informative. A couple important notes: 1. Read the Posting Rules. Disparaging comments to or about other members will not be tolerated. Use the Report Inappropriate Post feature (it appears with every post) to make...

View more questions Search