Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
    What kind of a sin is this?
    Yesterday a bought a new scanner; a Canon LIGE90, that is amazingly sophisticated for just under $90.
    When I got it home and opened it last night I fist found that the stand an hookup cord were not in the box as they were supposed to be.
    Then I noticed the lid was scratched and had a few small dents.
    When I opened it I found a hand written sheet of paper that someone had obviously scanned.
    So today I took it back to Staples via burning up $25 worth of gas to do so.
    I live in a small town over the continental divide about 40 miles form where the store is.
    What happened was that someone had bought that scanned and after a few days of using it took it back for a refund.
    The person kept part of the package contents.
    As it turns out that kind of activity is happening more and more at different stores.
    The people at Staples were very nice about it, replaced the scanner with a new one after checking to make sure that everything was new and in the box and gave me $25. Worth of store coupons to cover my additional expenses.
    What kind of sin or sins did that nefarious person do?
    Personally I think that theft of several sorts applies.
    Also there is deception and fraud involved.
    Are there any others?
    :) Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I would agree that this would be a matter of theft at the very least.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Theft for sure.

The store can prevent this in some ways. If the item is returned they should be checking the contents before giving a refund. If the machine works and was obviously used, then I think the store has a right to keep a percentage of the money refunded for rental of the unit.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Its theft, but the store didn't do their job. They accepted a return without looking in the box and they put it back on the shelf without caring what the next customer would find.
    I look very carefully to see that I am getting a non-returned item. Why should I buy used merchandise for a new price?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Fred, you are making me smile. :)

Just forget about it-this happens a lot because stores don't check their returns. I bet it was accidentally put back on the shelf instead of returned to the manufacturer. At Wal*Mart, they throw away all returns as well as damaged merchandise and get a credit from the manufacturer, per my friend Doris who works there. It is horrible waste.

YOu should be grateful you have a vehicle, that you can drive and walk into the store, and that you have money to purchase what you want!!

Have a good weekend, cutie pie. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Thank you all for your answers so far.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Thomaslover_C Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2008, 04:33 AM
    yes, I agree theft.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Thomaslover_C
    Thank you.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Hi arcura... yes definitely theft and deception although it's not seen like that.I remember a couple and their children coming into where I work and telling me that they were about to return a play station that they'd bought earlier that day, minus the controllers.I looked at them astounded tried to say the right thing and not to judge,which went something like, " your not going to get away with that they'll realize you've kept them", to which they answered " they can afford it " laughed and off they went, later they came by again and as sure as eggs are eggs they'd succeeded in replacing the parts that they had lost on their own play station.

What can you say, unless you tell on them, I wasn't about to do that. In their defence.. I know there is none.. they have very little money and 2 babies which they clothe by hand outs, the husband has a mental dis-order that prevents him from getting employment, he has tried very hard.The little ones always give me a hug, so how can you judge when you can see how difficult their life is already... I decided to keep my thoughts to myself. I think what saddens me is that the little ones will see what goes on and invariably copy as kids do.

The people that really annoy me are those that have everything and yet still steal, it may only be a paper or a free insert within the paper but it's still stealing.They have no morals and sadly their children are being raised the same... the Police are helpless against this due to ridiculous laws that prevent them from challenging the majority of culprits.

I think theft and deception will always reign due to greed and some of society thinking they are owed a living.

Blessings
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
    What can possibly be gained by naming and enumerating an unknown stranger's sins?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    What can possibly be gained by naming and enumerating an unknown stranger's sins?
    Absolutely nothing but you could possibly point them in the right direction
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    Absolutely nothing but you could possibly point them in the right direction
    Well, in the case at hand, no one even knows who the "sinner" is, so that can't be the reason for discussing it.
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Perhaps "Bearing false witness". Assuming that the following possibly occurred:

The clerk who takes the return normally asks, "Is everything complete?"

If the clerk asked this question and the person who returned the merchandise answered, "Yes." then the person beared false witness.

Peace.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Orphan,
    When you said, "I think theft and deception will always reign due to greed and some of society thinking they are owed a living," I said, "Yes, I sure do agree with that."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Well, in the case at hand, no one even knows who the "sinner" is, so that can't be the reason for discussing it.
    I was actually referring to my own personal experience: self explanitory in my post.

WE don't know who the offenders are, so it would not apply to them.This question is asking; what kind of sin we think this is, not whether we can do anything about it.

Different people hold a variety of oppinions about all manner of things in life... whilst I consider the incident raised in the question to be a sin of theft and deception, another may consider it to be perfectly acceptable, being that some thefts are from large companies who would be covered by insurance, therefore no one in their opinion would go the looser.

In reality this goes on every where and companies usually have a margin loss for it.
    There is also the addition of raised prices... continued theft in the retail outlets puts prices up for the consumer... theft has a knock on effect for everyone,it's the normal people in the street that have to cough up... what ever way you dress it up, the likes of you and me that pay in the end.
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Aug 5, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Ah well, perhaps we should concentrate on getting the plank out own own eye, before we judge others. We don't know the circumstances, best to let God sit in the judgement seat, after all, it's His job, not ours. ;)
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wilson
    Ah well, perhaps we should concentrate on getting the plank out own own eye, before we judge others. We don't know the circumstances, best to let God sit in the judgement seat, after all, it's His job, not ours. ;)
    Are you suggesting that a sin did not occur?

Please clarify.

Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2008, 08:10 PM
    0rphan,
    You have made some good points about that.
    Obviously a theft did occur. Who did it is a mystery only God knows at this point.
    Yes thefts do hurt many people in the pocket book.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcira)
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Aug 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Always helping, sure, this person sinned, I know he sinned, you know he sinned, but does he even have any concept of sin.
    We are all sinners that need a Saviour, let's hope this person finds Jesus.
    Keep helping. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Peter Wilson,
    Yes let us hope and pray that that person finds Jesus.
    Let's do that for everyone including those who claim to be atheists or agnostics.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of bug is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. When I lived in Alabama, I found this caterpillar, or at least I think it's a caterpillar :), in front of my trailer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind it is and what they know about it. Thanks! Emily P.S. I took these pictures in 2005, so I would like to know soon...

Me and my kind of ex [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I started working at this store in June 2006 and the girl I'm confused about started working at the same time. Even the same traning group. We became friends and about a month ago, we really got into each other. We started going to the movies...

Me and my kind of ex [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I started working at this store in June 2006 and the girl I'm confused about started working at the same time. Even the same training group. We became friends and about a month ago, we really got into each other. We started going to the movies...

What kind of Ivy is this? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some problems with my ivy plant, but I'm not sure what kind of ivy it is, or if it is even truly ivy at all. Can anyone identify it for me? Also the problem is that it is getting white/tan translucent spots with dark brown edges as well as some leaves have edges that are turning dark...

View more questions Search