Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Joseph Smith's Gold Plates?
    What ever became of those golden plates that Joseph Smith had? Has anyone else ever seen them?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I was walking through the sacred grove and beginning to climb Hill Cumorah when I heard a "Pssssst" right behind me. I turned and was surprised to see my guardian angel, AngelWolf, who whispered that the Angel Moroni had sent him to assign me the guardianship of the plates. AngelWolf handed me a small shovel and pointed to a rock.

"Dig just south of that," he said.

I did and after digging for only a few minutes, the shovel clinked against metal. I bent down to uncover whatever object had clinked, and unearthed the plates. AngelWolf took them from me and said a short blessing in a language that sounded like Apache. He brushed most of the soil off them and wrapped them in a gauzey white cloth he had taken from some mysterious place in his robe.

"Moroni trusts you after I put in a good word about you. I was always so happy you had included me in the choir with all your dollies and stuffed animals when you used to play 'church'. Take the plates home and put them in a safe place."

And that's what I did.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    What ever became of those golden plates that Joseph Smith had? Has anyone else ever seen them?
    Joseph Smith claimed that the plates were taken from him therefore there is no evidence that they ever existed.

In the front of the Book of Mormon, there are a list of people who claim to have had a vision of the plates (3) and a list of people (8) who claimed to have seen the plates. Interestingly, the majority if not all of those listed eventually left the church.
    Millydogz Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Jul 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Well the plates were actually the Book of Mormon, which Joseph Smith translated. So we have seen some of what is written in them, but the first 116 pages were stolen while they were still being translated, so they could still be around somewhere...
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Millydogz
    well the plates were actually the Book of Mormon, which Joseph Smith translated. so we have seen some of what is written in them, but the first 116 pages were stolen while they were still being translated, so they could still be around somewhere...

Good luck with finding them :D
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 26, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Yep. We have ONE man's word about all of this. Nothing can be proven on the testimony of one witness, and him dead and gone too.

Jul 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Yep. We have ONE man's word about all of this. Nothing can be proven on the testimony of one witness, and him dead and gone too.
    Actually, that's where you are wrong. If you had ever read the book of mormon, you would see the accounts of other witnesses. Their names were Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris, Christian Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer, Peter Whitmer Jr, John Whitmer, Hiram Page, Joseph Smith Senior, Hyrum Smith, Samuel H. Smith, and heaps of others. So before you say something like that, check that it's the truth.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
    actually, that's where you are wrong. if you had ever read the book of mormon, you would see the accounts of other witnesses. their names were Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris, Christian Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer, Peter Whitmer Jr, John Whitmer, Hiram Page, Joseph Smith Senior, Hyrum Smith, Samuel H. Smith, and heaps of others. so before you say something like that, check that it's the truth.
    I know all about those testimonies. I also know that most or all of them subsequently left the Mormon church.

Jul 26, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Well, yes some of them did leave the mormon church, I was just saying that there was more than one witness.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 08:59 PM
    well, yes some of them did leave the mormon church, i was just saying that there was more than one witness.
    Note that many of them never claimed to have actually seen the physical plates, only a vision of them.

Jul 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Actually they did physically see the plates. It says so in the Book Of Mormon, AND the D&C.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 09:37 PM
    actually they did physically see the plates. it says so in the Book Of Mormon, AND the D&C.
    Yep and this is one of the proofs of the fact that D&C is not inspired:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D&C 5:11-14
    11 And in addition to your testimony, the testimony of three of my servants, whom I shall call and ordain, unto whom I will show these things, and they shall go forth with my words that are given through you.
    12 Yea, they shall know of a surety that these things are true, for from heaven will I declare it unto them.
    13 I will give them power that they may behold and view these things as they are;
    14 And to none else will I grant this power, to receive this same testimony among this generation, in this the beginning of the rising up and the coming forth of my church out of the wilderness—clear as the moon, and fair as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So only three were allowed to be witnesses, and yet in the end it was 11. That is one problem. Now since the first 3 were the only legitimate witnesses according to D&C, note that the first 3 did not actually see the plates, but were only given a vision of the plates. Here is the testimony:

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, his brethren, and also of the people of Jared, which came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seeen [sic] the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shewn unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvellous [sic] in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

If you would like to discuss other issues that demonstrate the lack of inspiration for the Book of Mormon and related writings by Joseph Smith, let me know.

Jul 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Did u get that from a website? Or did you not notice that they also say "an angel of God came down from heaven and he brought and laid before our eyes, and we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon"
    And the other 8 witnesses say "Joseph Smith Jun., the translator of this work has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken which have the appearance of gold, and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands, and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship"
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
    did u get that from a website? Or did you not notice that they also say "an angel of God came down from heaven and he brought and laid before our eyes, and we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon"
    I have several copies of the BoM and I also have two copies of D&C. I quoted the entire passage.

and the other 8 witnesses say "Joseph Smith Jun., the translator of this work has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken which have the appearance of gold, and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands, and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship"
    These would be the other 8 that, according to D&C, were not permitted to see it.

That is what I am saying - D&C could not be inspired, or God would not have denied the other 8 the right to see it. So either D&C is not inspired, or the 8 are not valid witnesses. Either way, Joseph Smith's credibility is an issue.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Fact or fiction? Is not J. Smith the SOLE author of the Book of Mormons? (Actually I did read the book many years ago.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Fact or fiction? Is not J. Smith the SOLE author of the Book of Mormons? (Actually I did read the book many years ago.)
    There is strong evidence that he took large pieces from books written by a couple of other authors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Patricia Joseph [ 13 Answers ]

Hello: This person PM'd me with the following: I don't know if HE removed his posts or the moderator. I told him that we're happy to help once we understood. excon --------------------------------------------------- OK let me tell you that I am a member of a free legal aid society and...

Broken Plates [ 3 Answers ]

Is it right to be this way? Maybe I am the only one who can answer this but I would like your insights... Ever since I was little my mother has always chosen guys over her kids espcecially her daughters. For example, I was sexually abuse by her boyfriend, she watched him do it and denied it. Ever...

Joseph [ 2 Answers ]

Who was Joseph, what is his story in the Bible.

View more questions Search